Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Public Transportation options from Fresno Airport?

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Public Transportation options from Fresno Airport?

Postby SierraBound » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:07 pm

I am hoping to fly into the Fresno airport and arrive in Yosemite Valley the same day using public transportation or a hired shuttle service. A rental car is not an option because I will be hiking through Yosemite and not returning to the valley. If not Fresno, is there an option you know of using another airport that would get me into the valley the same day?

This is for a mid-summer 2010 trip.

Thanks!
SierraBound

Re: Public Transportation options from Fresno Airport?

Postby dan » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:43 pm

Merced is better because it's served by YARTS to Yosemite Valley and Tuolumne. Merced Airport (MCE) has regular flights from Ontario, CA (a major airport) and MCE via Great Lakes Aviation. See
http://ci.merced.ca.us/depts/airport/
YARTS bus service:
http://www.yarts.com/

Merced is also served by Amtrak ("The San Joaquin" train), which has regular service running north and south between Oakland and Fresno and Bakersfield (all have major airports). Amtrak service is not as reliable as the airlines though.

A rental car is an option. Leave the car in the Valley and take the "Hikers Bus" leaving daily in the morning from all the Yosemite Valley hotels. This bus is ran by the park Concessionaire, YCS:
http://www.yosemitepark.com/Activities_ ... adows.aspx
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby SierraBound » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:37 pm

Thanks Dan, I appreciate your advice. Looking at the YARTS schedule it looks like they only have buses departing from Merced bound for Yosemite in the morning. So that would mean a layover in Merced since even with the earliest flights into the area I would miss the last bus. YARTS has their winter schedule posted, so maybe they add an afternoon run in the summer season.

I also need to learn more about the VIA bus. I have seen some info that sounded like they offer service from Fresno, but on their website it looks like they operate out of Merced. I need to give them a call to learn more.

I am planning a JMT thru hike starting in Yosemite Valley , so leaving a rental car in Yosemite Valley is not an option.

With a three week vacation window I am trying to maximize trail days by eliminating a layover day outside of the park. I'd prefer to spend that first night at the backpacker campground in Yosemite Valley.

Thanks again. This forum is awesome!
SierraBound

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:47 pm

Not sure you'll avoid the layover any way you look at it - flying into Merced is about as streamlined as you'll get, since there are no shuttles out of Fresno.

How far were you planning to go on the JMT? You don't seem concerned about getting anywhere from Whitney.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby dan » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:51 pm

I don't know of any bus out of Fresno. You can take the train from Fresno to Merced, but no bus from Fresno to Yosemite.

There is no added afternoon bus in the summer. YARTS adds a bus from Merced to Yosemite Valley then to Tuolumne, via the Tioga Road, to Mammoth in Summer.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:03 am

The VIA bus is one of those tour coaches. I'm doubtful they have a daily run - it's more likely they run when a group engages them.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby SierraBound » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:55 pm

I have found a company, Yosemite & Beyond Tours who will shuttle groups from the Fresno Airport to Yosemite Valley. For a one-way shuttle they charge $150 for the first two people, then $15 for each additional person. They recommend making a reservation 2-4 weeks ahead of time. I'll be traveling with two others, so $55 each for the ride isn't bad since we won't be paying for the train to Merced, YARTS or a night's layover somewhere.

We are planning on hiking through to Whitney Portal and were lucky enough to have a friend willing to meet us on that end of the trail.

Thank you all for your interest and advice.

Happy Trails!
SierraBound

Re: Public Transportation options from Fresno Airport?

Postby eva249 » Mon May 27, 2013 3:05 am

I don't know of any bus out of Fresno. You can take the train from Fresno to Merced, but no bus from Fresno to Yosemite. It is doubtful about the bus.

Hire Airport Transportation Service NYC
eva249
First-timer
First-timer

Return to Visiting Yosemite