Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

RV trip in Aug 2010

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

RV trip in Aug 2010

Postby pauloatham » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:13 pm

Hi
I have been looking at a few websites for camping grounds in and around yosemite, are they all as busy as the websites show, are there any quiet ones?
The most recent on viewed is yosemite pines, has anyone been there?

I look forward to some advice and replies, many thanks

Paul
pauloatham
First-timer
First-timer

Re: RV trip in Aug 2010

Postby dan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:51 pm

Quiet? If you want quiet campgrounds, do NOT camp in Yosemite Valley. I still suffer it sometimes for the overwhelming beauty of the place. Off-season (fall, winter, early spring) is the most quiet. It's also COLD.

During the season, remote campsites are best--Yosemite Creek Campground and Tamarack Flat are very quiet. Crane Flat and Bridalveil Creek are usually quiet.

Edit:
I just saw the subject line. Tamarack Flat is NOT suitable for RVs. Yosemite Creek may not be either. But for more quiet, camp outside Yosemite Valley.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby hotrod4x5 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:30 am

I've been to Yosemite every month of the year, for a total of 20 or more trips over the last two decades. I hate to say this, but August is the worst month, next is Sept. If you can go a different month, do so.

Why is it so bad? It is very hot, first of all. Next, the waterfalls are either dry, or at best a trickle. The Merced is too low to do some rafting, and there are crowds, crowds, crowds. Park employees are cranky because the high season is in it's 3rd month and there are traffic jams along the valley floor from 10 am to 4 pm.

My favorite months are October, December, Jan-May. June and July can usually be pretty good, because the waterfalls and river are high enough to enjoy, which overrides the other bad things about those months (crowds, mostly).
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds