Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Cedar Lodge

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Cedar Lodge

Postby thecatdidit » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:05 pm

Please Beware of the Cedar Lodge in El Portal. All I did was make a reservation and had to cancel it two hours later because I mapped our route to a funeral wrong. The managers of the lodge were rude, arrogant and they mishandled my funds. Over the coarse of this past month they have charged my card for a total of 533 and change. All but 7.50 has been returned. I never stayed one night there. The staff at the lodge is rude, incompetent and downright horrid. They made mistakes that caused my money to be pulled out of my bank account and instead of admitting the mistake and working to corrected it I was belittled and yelled at. I was told that I need to send them phone bills proving that I had called them and statements from my bank proving they were taking money out. I finally called the people who oversee that lodge and was told that the Cedar managers knew and had forwarded the head office the paper trail in and out of my account. Even though the head office knew what was going on I was told that I had to continue to deal with the incompetent managers at the Lodge itself.

I finally had to have a representative from my bank call the Lodge and warn them not to remove any further funds from my account and to refund me what they owed me within 7 days or we would pursue fraud charges. This has been a nightmare. If they would have been honest from the beginning and worked with me on correcting THEIR mistakes, I would have been much more understanding. Instead, my bank had to step in and to this day I have not received one apology from anyone from that lodge for what they did to me and my family.

Do you have $533 to give them while they play with your money? You don't? Then stay away from them. As far as I am concerned the two particular managers (Colleen and Jim) that I dealt with at this lodge are nothing but theives and should be fired for the scam they are running.
thecatdidit
First-timer
First-timer

Postby jeanlery2010 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:10 pm

It's complicated. Thanks for the advice.I will share this information to others.
jeanlery P. enierga
jeanlery2010
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Cedar Lodge

Postby dan » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:37 pm

It sounds like you had quite an experience--that's too bad. I stayed there several times and never had a problem. Cedar Lodge is relatively cheap (at least cheaper than Yosemite Valley) and close to Yosemite Valley (closer than any other hotel outside the park). I don't like the massive parking lots and complex, but I generally don't spend much time there except sleeping.

What I usually do is make reservations by credit card. If I have problems, I call whoever I'm dealing with and if they can't handle it, I go straight to the credit card company and challenge the charges. That's why it's important to use a credit card and not a debit card or check for reservations.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Cedar Lodge

Postby Pk » Fri May 14, 2010 7:22 pm

That is a terrrible experience, but I don't believe it is the norm.

I have stayed at the Cedar Lodge many times. I like the proximity to the park, and like to stay there on Holiday Weekends and save camping in the Valley other less crowded times. I have never had a problem there. The rooms are clean, they have small kitchens, 2 comfortables beds and a nice size bathroom. The management has always been pleasant.
Pk
First-timer
First-timer

Return to Visiting Yosemite