Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

First vist-need backpacking advice

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:06 pm

Just a couple of comments... Looks good, assuming you've left enough travel time to various spots in there... the drive to Hetch Hetchy is a long, winding road, sometimes one lane, so it will be slow going.

You might check on the hiker bus schedule - would be good to have a fallback option if you miss the YARTS.

Ten Lakes can also be a day hike from the Ten Lakes trailhead on Tioga Rd. If you are on the hiker bus you can ask the driver to let you off.

That said... you've got a really ambitious schedule, and I don't think you'll be unhappy with any of what you've got on the plan.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ryan72 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:07 pm

Good point

the hikers bus leaves at 2:00pm and the yarts bus at 9:00am assuming the schedule is the same as what was posted for last year.

that will give us a little buffer if something comes up.
ryan72
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby ryan72 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:10 pm

do you know if the hiker bus for sure will let you off at the 10 lakes trailhead from tioga road?

the yarts site had a disclaimer that only cetains stops were allowable and it was up to the driver's discretion.
ryan72
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:16 pm

Here's the page on the hiker bus:
http://www.yosemitepark.com/Activities_ ... adows.aspx

It does say you can get on or off at any trailhead. :)

YARTS is pretty set for schedule as they cover a lot of miles in a day.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ryan72 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:04 pm

thats good news. Maybe we can adjust the last couple of days and head to 10 lakes too.
ryan72
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby orion » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:15 am

At the lower elevations, maybe Pate Valley, there are these little annoying gnats that don't bite but like to fly as close as possible to your eyes while you hike.

Speaking of bites, be careful not to step on a rattlesnake down there. They're generally plentiful anywhere oaks still grow, but I've come across one even above 7000'.

It'll get chilly at night at elevation, but nothing too extreme. Usually there's a down-canyon breeze after dusk and then the night is still.
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:20 am

Go with your plan.
You can change it on the fly. I seldom stick to a fixed plan.
You could go back to White Wolf via Ten Lakes for one loop,
jump in your car, drive to TM, get a permit for next day,
stay in BP campground, then do another loop or hike to the Valley.

The black noseeums are prevalent at lower elevation in the fall.
The wife and I prefer mosquitos to those little buggers. Luckily
you should not worry about those in July. Thank goodness we
don't have Deer Flies in the Sierra!

Have fun
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ryan72 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:25 am

just receeived confirmation from the par service for our wilderness permits. I faxed it in just before work this morning. I was getting worried watching the trailheads fill up.

We're going to leave from white wolf and try to go ahead with our itenerary. We may skip Ireland lake and try to hike to TM from Bernice, then catch the bus to 10 lakes and hit that before heading back to White Wolf.
ryan72
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: First vist-need backpacking advice

Postby joyce19 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:56 am

Hello,

I am new to the forum and living New York, USA.

I am planning a road trip to California with my friends in upcoming week. So please give me some backpacking advice?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by joyce19 on Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
joyce19

Postby Justin-T » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:58 am

Hi Joyce - welcome to the forum! I suggest you start a new topic and be more specific about what kinds of information you're looking for.
Justin-T
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:49 am

joyce19 wrote:Hello,

I am new to the forum and living New York, USA.

I am planning a road trip to California with my friends in upcoming week. So please give me some backpacking advice?

Thanks in advance.

As Justin says, post your own thread, and be specific - are you new to backpacking or just new to California? And note that this is a Yosemite specific forum. There is a subforum for locations not in Yosemite, if you are asking about other parts of California. There are also other backpacking forums.

If you are asking about Yosemite - I hope you already reserved a permit, otherwise you'll be getting lots of advice about other places to go. The wilderness permit system in Yosemite is pretty busy and popular trails are usually reserved for months in advance.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking