Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

March/April visit

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

March/April visit

Postby elcarlstono » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:03 am

Hi all. I'm new to the forum (in case you couldn't tell from my post count), and to Yosemite.
Anyway, the wife and I are flying out to San Francisco for a week for our last big trip before the baby arrives. We want to get out and see Yosemite and understand a good bit of it is still inaccessible. That being said, with what is available to see, how much time of our week would you suggest we allocate to visit Yosemite. Also keep in mind that on top of the closed areas, my wife will be 5 months pregnant and not up for a lot of strenuous hiking anyway.
Is 1 day enough? 2? 3? Should we even attempt to get down to Sequoia.

Thanks so much for your responses and suggestions.
elcarlstono

Re: March/April visit

Postby dan » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:01 pm

A lot of stuff is still snowbound until Memorial Day or so, so that limits your choices. Personally, I would focus on Yosemite and skip Sequoia as the trails to the Sequoia trees are under snow and the elevation higher. Sequoia's nice, but it's a lot of driving to try and cover both. In Yosemite, visit the Valley--it is low, so not as snowbound, has lots of views and waterfalls, and has lodging and restaurants.

I would spend at least 2 full days there--maybe one to see the Valley and the other to see the Sequoia trees in Yosemite.

There's Giant Sequoia Trees in Yosemite at Mariposa Grove (you have to walk a couple miles in though on a closed road). The easiest Sequoia Trees to see in Yosemite are at the Tuolumne Grove just north of Crane Flat. From Yosemite Valley take Big Oak Flat Rd to the gas station at Crane Flat, turn on to Tioga Road (120 east) and drive about 1/2 mile to a parking lot on the left with bathrooms. It's just before the Yosemite Institute building. Park and drive on the closed Old Big Oak Flat Road. You'll see Giant Sequoias after walking 1/4 mile or so.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby elcarlstono » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:20 pm

Dan, thanks, that was exactly the type of info I was looking for.
elcarlstono

Return to Visiting Yosemite