Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Is there another YOSEMITE?

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Is there another YOSEMITE?

Postby archive » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:28 pm

Author: NancyMarks
Date: 09-01-04 17:55

A "friend of my boss" insists that there is a Yosemite Park in a state other than California. I say absolutely not, but my boss says his friend was dead serious. I say the friend is pulling a fast one on him, big time. Does anybody know of a Yosemite anything in any other state? I'd love to here from you. My boss is never wrong, you know ;).

Nancy
20+ year Yosemite CA faithful

Re: Is there another YOSEMITE?
Author: Dan Anderson
Date: 09-01-04 19:36

There is no other Yosemite Park. Yosemite is named after the Ahwahneechee Indian tribe that used to live in the valley.

Several streets in several states are named Yosemite. There's a town of Yosemite, Kentucky, named after Yosemite National Park. I know of no park outside of California named Yosemite.

Author: pete cafone
Date: 03-24-05 00:24

The person is confused. There is often a mention of "another" Yosemite Valley which is actually in Yosemite National Park. It is where the Hetch Hetchy Dam which supplies San Francisco with water is located. Before entering the gate at Yosemite Park on 120, about 1 mile before, you take Evergreen Road to the left and it deadlines at the dam about 11 miles down after going past Camp Mather (7 miles)...Evergreen Restaurant on the road used to be a good stop. Reason it's another Yosemite is because without the dam, it appears to be a sister to Yosemite, site of the Merced River while the Toulomone River runs into/from the Hetch Hetchy.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Other Yosemities

Postby dan » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:21 pm

There's no other Yosemite Park. Kings Canyon, Tehipite Valley, and Hetch Hetchy Valley were called "yosemites" by John Muir. They are all in the Sierra Nevada in California.

There is a Yosemite in Casey County, Kentucky. According to Wikipedia:

Yosemite, KY is a rural community in eastern Casey County. Local pronunciation is "Yo-seh-mite". It was established in the 1870s for logging facilities owned by Cincinnati businessman Eugene Zimmerman. It was named by his daughter, who said the hilly area reminded her of the Yosemite valley in California.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby oakroscoe » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:52 pm

archive wrote:The person is confused. There is often a mention of "another" Yosemite Valley which is actually in Yosemite National Park. It is where the Hetch Hetchy Dam which supplies San Francisco with water is located. Before entering the gate at Yosemite Park on 120, about 1 mile before, you take Evergreen Road to the left and it deadlines at the dam about 11 miles down after going past Camp Mather (7 miles)...Evergreen Restaurant on the road used to be a good stop. Reason it's another Yosemite is because without the dam, it appears to be a sister to Yosemite, site of the Merced River while the Toulomone River runs into/from the Hetch Hetchy.

It really is a shame about the O'Shaughnessy Dam. You can tell that the Hetch Hetchy Valley was beautiful before the Dam was there. To quote John Muir, "Dam Hetch Hetchy! As well dam for water-tanks the people's cathedrals and churches, for no holier temple has ever been consecrated by the heart of man."
oakroscoe
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Hetch Hetchy was beautiful

Postby Yosemite_Indian » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:39 pm

One of my great aunts said that she had heard that Hetch Hetchy was a beautiful place. She said they would enter through Twin Lakes. There was a camp there and the Paiutes would trek in. They also used to work with sheepherders, but after alwhile the park service would not let them graze sheep in the park.
Chief Tenaya was the founder of the Paiute Colony of Ahwahnee
Yosemite_Indian
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite