Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Booking Housekeeping Camp

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Booking Housekeeping Camp

Postby Peter » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:15 pm

I've been trying to book the Housekeeping Camps for Yosemite, but they always seem to be full by the time I go on the website so I have a few questions on when the best time to book would be.

If I were to book for Memorial Day weekend of next year, when would I be able to book it? Say I want to book for May 27th 2011(friday) - May 30th 2011 (monday) Would that mean that I should book on May 27th 2010? (thursday) It says I can book 1 year+1 day in advance, but the day that I'm leaving, May 30th, is 3 days away from when I want to book it which makes it a year and 4 days. Does my departure date have any relevance to my arrival date?

Also, what time zone does the website run on? PST, California time? If thats so then the best time to book would be on Weds May 26th 11:59 pm and when the clock strikes 12 am, all the reservations would open up? If I book for two nights, can I call in and have them change it 3 nights or 4 nights if I change my mind? Do they charge you a fee if you cancel your reservation?
Peter

Re: Booking Housekeeping Camp

Postby dan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:54 pm

If you're booking something in high demand (as I assume the Housekeeping Camp is in the summer or Memorial Day--Memorial Day weekend is the busiest days of the entire year for Yosemite), then you need to use the PHONE, not the web. It will be too late if you use the web. Find out what time the reservation office opens (it is NOT midnight :-)), get the phone number, and program it in the phone. Dial the number. If you get a busy signal, redial. Stay on the phone and wait (use the phone's speaker function if it's available.

You need to call 1 year + 1 day ahead of the first day of the reservation--that is when reservations are released. Keep in mind that earlier, multi-day reservations may have been made by earlier arrivals. The departure day has nothing to do with when you can make the reservations--it's the arrival date that's important.

Yes there is a cancellation fee--look it up on the Yosemite concessionaire (DNC Yosemite) website, http://www.yosemitepark.com/

The reservation office runs on the Pacific Timezone.

Good luck.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Peter » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:23 pm

Why is it that the phone is faster than the internet? If I'm not mistaken, the web should open up at 12 am and then the phone reservations open up at 7 am or what not so the internet should have it 7 hours before the phone lines open, no?
Peter

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:24 pm

That's been my experience as well - the phone is quicker. You can talk to the person about what's available and grab it that instant instead of an endless series of emails denying you what you want. I've never gotten first choice but have gotten second or third choice.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby dan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:24 am

I'm just the messenger--I don't know why though. I'm telling you from experience that the phone is faster than Internet. Try the Internet if you wish, but I'm trying to help you out. I missed reservations before from using Internet instead of calling up and had to wait another year. I know it's crazy, but that's the way it is. I use Internet when I can (for off-season or less-popular dates or hotels). Also, the web reservations do NOT open up at 12 am.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ryanmj » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:27 pm

I stay at house keeping every year 4th of July and have never gotten the reservation when ive tried a year in advance, I call a few times a week for cancellations and call more and more frequent as it gets closer. Some times ill get lucky and have reservations 6 months out sometimes I dont get the full week untill a few weeks before . You have to take single days and fill in the week as you can. Its a pain in the ass.
ryanmj
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby jimdmcd » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:54 am

The internet rooms are activated at 08:00 Pacific
The internet is also not actually "live" inventory, when you call in the inventory the booking agent sees IS live and accurate.
jimdmcd

Return to Visiting Yosemite