Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Little Yosemite Valley Campground

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Little Yosemite Valley Campground

Postby jeweladdict » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:21 pm

What exactly are solar bathrooms?
Is the campground close to a water source?
Should i bring a portable shower?

thanks!
jeweladdict

Re: Little Yosemite Valley Campground

Postby rfb » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:39 pm

What exactly are solar bathrooms?

Two-story outhouses. These have toilet paper, so if you are staying in LYV you don't need to bring your onw.
Is the campground close to a water source?

You are right next to the Merced River, making it easy to filter or boil all the water you will need.
Should i bring a portable shower?

I can't even imagine taking a shower on a backpacking trip.
rfb
First-timer
First-timer

Postby jeweladdict » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:19 am

Is it possible (allowed) to swim in the river? :P
jeweladdict

Postby dan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:29 am

jeweladdict wrote:Is it possible (allowed) to swim in the river? :P

Yes it's allowed to swim in the river (except right above the falls, of course). You can't use soap or shampoo--if you want to use that, take some water and use it away from the river.

The Merced River is cold, even in summer, so I always find a flat hot rock in the middle of the day to dry out.

I sometimes take a portable shower (and use it as a water bottle). Lay it out in the sun for a few hours, then hang it on a tree and you have a nice shower.

By the way, the solar bathrooms are to power fans in the bathrooms. The bathrooms are composting toilets and need fans to speed up composting. Composting bathrooms are odor free (unless they are overwhelmed with excessive use).
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jeweladdict » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:03 am

Thanks for the info!

I booked 2 nights labor day weekend (saturday and sunday) in LYV. Will be travelling with 4 younger brothers and my girlfriend.

Here is our itinerary do you have any insight? We've never really camped before, but all of us are fit and young (24 and younger). I plan on doing a couple of overnight trips beforehand to test everything out. Can you guys help me out on the timing? IE how long does it take to hike from yosemite valley to LYV. Thanks!

day 1
4am: leave san diego
noon: arrive yosemite, hike to little yosemite campground
4pm: arrive at little yosemite valley (camp for the night)

day 2
6am: leave for half dome
10am: arrive at halfdome summit, eat, relax
noon: start back down to little yosemite valley
4pm: arrive little yosemite valley (camp for the night)

day 3
8am: hike to car
11am: arrive at car
noon: lunch at yosemite village
1pm: tunnel view/glacier point
3pm drive home
10pm arrive home
jeweladdict

Postby dan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:50 am

It's doable, but the schedule's tight on day 1. You need to eat and pick up your permit on day 1, have your backpacks all ready to go. For the drive up, I would take I-15 and I-210 to avoid the worst of L.A. traffic.

Day 2 is reasonable. Half Dome is a lot easier starting from LYV. It's nice to get a head start and beat the crowds and get there in the morning when it's cooler. Bring water--there is no reliable water along the way.

You'll probably park your car at the Backpacker's Parking between Upper Pines Campground and Curry Village. It would probably be more convenient to eat lunch there.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking