Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

What time do the crowds start?

Discussion about hiking to the top of Half Dome, planning the trip, and when the Half Dome cables are installed in Spring or removed in Fall.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

What time do the crowds start?

Postby zonachris » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:55 am

On a weekday in late June, hiking from Happy Isles, what time do I need to be on the trail to avoid most of the crowds? Waiting in line at the cables seems like the exact opposite of what I want out of a hike.
zonachris
Regular
Regular

Postby hikehigh » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:12 pm

I would recommend you start about 4 or 5am. Its nice to be on the trail as the sun comes up, have a somewhat peaceful hike up and beat the crowds. You will only have to deal with the masses on the way down. I say, the earlier the better.
hikehigh
Regular
Regular

Postby zonachris » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:21 pm

Should be heading up by 6 Thurs Morning. Don't have to worry about the crowds though - I'm on JMT for a week. Thanks!
zonachris
Regular
Regular

Postby Hikin Mike » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:23 pm

zonachris wrote:Should be heading up by 6 Thurs Morning. Don't have to worry about the crowds though - I'm on JMT for a week. Thanks!

Have a good trip! :D
Hikin Mike
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby zonachris » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:32 pm

I did! Though went up Fri morning after camping at Cloud Rest TH. Real easy to beat the crowds that day (though a long day carry pack to Sunrise Camp.
zonachris
Regular
Regular

Postby ceejay2005 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:16 pm

sme people stayed the night outside but people started lining up at aroundlike almost 11. i was there the earliest. i was the 1st one in, no joke.
ceejay2005

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:51 pm

ceejay2005 wrote:sme people stayed the night outside but people started lining up at aroundlike almost 11. i was there the earliest. i was the 1st one in, no joke.

Are you talking about the wilderness center, or the cables on Half Dome?

I'm going tonight - hitting the cables around 5:30 am. Sunrise and coffee on the granite.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby syndony » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:56 pm

Yosemite is beautiful any time of year, but my favorite time is late spring, early summer when the waterfalls are running.
There is so much to see and do, I highly recommend getting out of your car and out on the trail. Hiking is a great way to experience the beauty of Yosemite.
syndony

Half Dome Cable Status

Postby ScoutmasterBill » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:56 am

Planning a trip to Yosemite, May 14th thru 17th. Is there a set date as to when the Half Dome cables go up? Seems like the Sierra snow pack this year is above normal and still snowing as of today. Does that impact the timing of the cables?
ScoutmasterBill

Postby bill-e-g » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:33 pm

There's no set date. Going by last year I would not expect the cables
to be up until Memorial Day.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Half Dome Hiking