Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Early June trip, too ealry?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Early June trip, too ealry?

Postby dmede » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:44 pm

Hi, I'm helping plan a backpacking trip in Yosemite in early June. The probable route will be the JMT from Tuolumne Meadows to Yosemite Valley.

Issues I?m trying to sort out are transportation from the Valley to the trailhead and what to expect weather-wise on the trail once up there. I?m concerned that we may be too early in the season for this route.

From talking to the park it looks like the buses and shuttles will probably not be running the first couple weeks of June. The visitor center person told me I could try and hitch hike up to the trailhead. How likely is it that there will be that much traffic going up to the meadows in early June? Can you hire someone to drive you up?

Also, what should I expect to find weather-wise? Will the snow along the JMT via the meadows be mostly gone or will we be snow camping? The ranger told me to expect lots of snow and bring gators, but online info suggests it should be fairly open with warm temps during the day (80s).

Thanks,
David
Last edited by dmede on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dmede
Regular
Regular

Postby oakroscoe » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:50 pm

This year has been unseasonly dry and the snow levels are pretty low. So I would guess that it would be patchy snow as opposed to huge drifts.
oakroscoe
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Early June trip, too ealry?

Postby dan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:01 pm

dmede wrote:From talking to the park it looks like the buses and shuttles will probably not be running the first couple weeks of June. The visitor center person told me I could try and hitch hike up to the trailhead. How likely is it that there will be that much traffic going up to the meadows in early June? Can you hire someone to drive you up?

Look at the YARTs website for the bus info. The opening date won't be firmed up until later. Early June is early though for YARTs. You can hitch hike, but usually tourists don't pick you up. Since the Yosemite murder by Stayner, it may be more difficult to be picked up by locals. Furthermore, it may take multiple legs, say one to Crane Flat and another on Tioga Road.

dmede wrote:Also, what should I expect to find weather-wise? Will the snow along the JMT via the meadows be mostly gone or will we be snow camping? The ranger told me to expect lots of snow and bring gators, but online info suggests it should be fairly open with warm temps during the day (80s).

I've had lots of snow into early July many years. This year should be drier unless there's significant storms in April or May (unlikely I think).
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby dmede » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:59 am

Thanks. I'm hoping the dry weather holds, though snow on the ground is not a big deal as long as the temps ar in the mid 70s during the day. Cold nights are what scotch is for!

I am concerned about transportation though. We're hoping that we can find someone who will drive us up for a quick $100. Not sure how likely that is though.
Last edited by dmede on Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
dmede
Regular
Regular

Postby Grzldvt » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:24 pm

Take a look at T-Meadows to Glen Aulin to May Lake, with a side trip to Cathedral Lakes area and back to T-Meadows.
Solves your transporation problem, is a very nice scenic loop.
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking