Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

What is the best day to arrive during the week for a fc/fs?

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

What is the best day to arrive during the week for a fc/fs?

Postby cusitin » Sun May 09, 2010 8:08 pm

Hi everyone,

Boy am I glad I found this forum!

Anyhow, I am planning to visit Yosemite in July and I will be coming from San Francisco. I have to use a FC/FS campground because by the time I found out, it was too late to reserve a campground. I have read that it is best to arrive early and wait for a spot. I would have to leave San Francisco by 2:00 - 2:30 a.m. to get there within enough time to get a spot. I would like to see if I can secure a spot at Bridalveil.

I have lots of questions as I am not an experienced camper.

1. What do you have to do to secure a spot? Do you just wait your turn or register somewhere?

2. When is the best day to arrive midweek? I will be arriving on Tuesday. Is that a good day to arrive? or is Monday better?

3. Once you secure a spot, can you leave and come back? We plan to take hiking tours during the day. Do we leave our stuff there? How can I make sure no one will take our spot if we leave with our car?

4. Do I have to reregister every day?
cusitin

Re: What is the best day to arrive during the week for a fc/

Postby hotrod4x5 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:24 am

cusitin wrote:Hi everyone,

Boy am I glad I found this forum!

Anyhow, I am planning to visit Yosemite in July and I will be coming from San Francisco. I have to use a FC/FS campground because by the time I found out, it was too late to reserve a campground. I have read that it is best to arrive early and wait for a spot. I would have to leave San Francisco by 2:00 - 2:30 a.m. to get there within enough time to get a spot. I would like to see if I can secure a spot at Bridalveil.

I have lots of questions as I am not an experienced camper.

1. What do you have to do to secure a spot? Do you just wait your turn or register somewhere?

2. When is the best day to arrive midweek? I will be arriving on Tuesday. Is that a good day to arrive? or is Monday better?

3. Once you secure a spot, can you leave and come back? We plan to take hiking tours during the day. Do we leave our stuff there? How can I make sure no one will take our spot if we leave with our car?

4. Do I have to reregister every day?

I have not stayed there, but from what I have read, you should be able to get a site. Arrive about an hour or so before checkout, and walk around looking for someone packing up. Have your chair or other items ready to place on the site, and secure it, then go register. But since Bridalveil has 110 sites, I really find it hard to believe that it will be full on a weekday. I could be wrong, of course.

And yes, I would leave stuff, for sure your tent and a chair or two behind. Campers are pretty honest folks. EVERYONE leaves their tents, if nothing else at their sites.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Wickett » Tue May 11, 2010 11:31 am

They are strongly discouraging sniping a site and then registering at camp 4. They hand them out at the desk so while you are walking around someone is getting in line for the sites. As with anything, getting in line earlier will help your chances for success. The weekdays are generally better for your FCFS sites but it is up to what is going on that day as each day is different. Once you have the site you can leave your stuff at the site. (no food left out)

Not sure about the registering every day, I do not think so. I think you register for the duration of your stay.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Yosemite campground

Postby camping lady » Wed May 12, 2010 3:17 pm

what date are you looking for in July I might be able to help. I also see post on craigslist try the big areas in California, orange county los angeles, san francisco, etc.
camping lady

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds