Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Recommendations for 3 good (all) day hikes

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Recommendations for 3 good (all) day hikes

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:22 am

Author: Kari (---.littlefriendsinc.com)
Date: 06-14-05 10:57

My husband and I will be going to Yosemite in the last week of June. We will be staying in Wawona and were wondering which day hikes are the best. We have three full days for hiking and are both in good shape. Looking for moderate to strenuous trails.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Re: 3 Good (all) day hikes
Author: Jerblock (204.76.113.---)
Date: 06-17-05 15:13

Half Dome - strenuous
Upper Yosemite Falls -hard
Panarama- Easy, but need to be dropped at Glacier Point & picked up in valley.

5 all day hikes
Author: Adam Abram (64.9.48.---)
Date: 07-05-05 07:36

My wife and I are staying at the Ahwahnee the first week in October. We're interested in hard hiking with views. What would you recommend? Do we need any special permits or passes that we could get ahead of our trip to save time? What maps would you recommend. Thanks for your time. Adam

Re: 5 all day hikes
Author: yosemitegirl (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: 07-10-05 19:26

The best I have done are:

Half Dome (Happy Isles up Mist trail to John Muir to cables)
Glacier Point (Panoramic to John Muir and back down)
North Dome (via Yosemite Falls to North Dome)

I am yet to try North Dome, but hear it is one of the best not-so-well known hikes with a view of Half Dome.

Re: 5 all day hikes
Author: Dan Anderson (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: 07-11-05 18:56

You don't need permits in Yosemite for day hikes--just backpacks.

I recommend Eagle Peak. Take the Yosemite Falls Trail to the top, then continue on to Eagle Peak. Best view of Yosemite Valley.

Also hiking up Little Yosemite Valley via the Mist Trail. You can continue on to Half Dome from the top of Nevada Falls.

The Four Mile Trail has great views of Yosemite Falls and is in shade part of the day.

Re: 3 Good (all) day hikes
Author: m bj (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: 07-21-05 08:01

From the valley, take the 4 mile trail to Glacier Point, then the Panarama to Illouette Falls, continue to Nevada and come back down via the Mist Trail or go the other way. The section of Glacier Point to Illouette Falls to Nevada gives views of the peaks that you don't get with other hikes.

Obviously, climbing Half Dome is fantastic for a long day trip, but start very early to avoid the crowds and people"hanging" on the cables. Go up the Mist and down via John Muir. The Mist is steeper and shorter, but the view take your mind off the steepness. After a long hike, I liked going back the John Muir which was a bit more gentle on my knees.

I also like the Snow Creek trail (Zigzag trail) that goes up at the end of Mirror Lake. Hardly anyone takes this trail, but it has great views, a wonderful half way point at the top of Snow Creek for a stop--you can also continue on to NorthDome from here and go down via Upper Yosemite Falls if you want a really long hike. This is a favorite hike of a lot of the park employees. The hike is not listed in most hiking books so there aren't many people on the trail. It is relentingly UP, but good consistent trail and with the gret VIEWS I don't mind the switchbacks.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Recommendations for 3 good (all) day hikes

Postby Britjohn » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:30 pm

Two day hikes that I undertook last year I can fully recommend, both have the merit of not having to climb out of the Valley - which, wherever you do it is very arduous.
We took the Hikers' bus up towards the Meadows (which, I think leaves from the Wawona). We got off at the trail head on the Tioga road for North Dome and went out as far as we wanted to towards North Dome, backtracked up to Indian Rock and then down to the valley floor using the trail round the back of Basket Dome, past Mirror Lake and then you can pick up the shuttle whenever you've had enough. Super views of Half Dome and, of course, Indian rock is worth the visit. We found it a good day's hike.
We also took the bus towards Galcier Point, getting off near the Bridalveil camp site turnoff (you have to ask the driver to stop there, its not a scheduled stop). Back track and take the trail north throuch McGurks' Meadow, quiet, lots of flowers and pretty and then to Taft Point (great views of the valley and unrivalled perspective of the Yosemite Falls, on to Glacier Point and take the panoramic trail down past, either Vernal Falls or Vernal Falls and Nevada Falls and down the mist trail. We found it a long day about 18+ miles, but most rewarding and not over strenuous because there's a lot of down hill.
These two trails will give great insights into both sides of the Valley.
For a third day, unless you've been up there before and no it well, I'd have to take the bus up again to Tuolomne Meadows. There there are so many great half/day hikes its unbelieveable. If you haven't been then i would have to suggest a trip along Lyell Canyon, just as far as you wish to go. What could be better?
Britjohn

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking