Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Bear Lockers at Trail Heads

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Bear Lockers at Trail Heads

Postby wagnec » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:15 pm

Hello -

We are planning a two and half week trip to Yosemite in early June. We will be completing two 3 to 5 day backpacking trips while we are there. Being from Wisconsin, we don't have to worry about protecting our food in the car from rogue cows - so we were wondering about the bear lockers at the trailheads.

Is it safe (from other park users, not bears) to leave our food in there while backpacking? Or is it best to try and plan so we don't have any food left to leave in the lockers.

Any guidance on this or anything else someone from Wisconsin should know would be appreciated. Thanks!
wagnec

Postby dan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:35 pm

I leave food in the lockers all the time without problems. There's no roving thieves that go around looking for used granola bars or oatmeal :)--there's more valuable pickings. I've never had my food bothered at the trailhead, but there's no guarantees.

Just put all your food in a bag when you leave it, not all out in the open scattered all through the bear locker.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Grzldvt » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:51 am

Agree with Dan, the food will be safe. Yosemite seems to attract a different mentality of hikers, who seem to be very trustworthy and respect others property.
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby airrj » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:30 am

My wife and I have used the bear lockers at several times with no problems. We also have used them as a food cache when we have a long trip planned that crosses a roadway.

Enjoy your trip.
R.J.
airrj
Regular
Regular

Postby oakroscoe » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:55 am

I've never had a problem with the bear lockers. Like Dan said, there's way more valuable picking around for any potential thieves. My theory is that most backpackers are very respectful of other people's property. I would like to echo Dan's wishes that you keep everything in a bag though. Enjoy your trip to yosemite!
oakroscoe
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby wagnec » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:32 pm

Thank you for the responses. We are looking forward to the trip.
wagnec

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking