Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Half Dome Cable Status, May 21-23, 2010

Discussion about hiking to the top of Half Dome, planning the trip, and when the Half Dome cables are installed in Spring or removed in Fall.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Half Dome Cable Status, May 21-23, 2010

Postby dan » Wed May 12, 2010 11:52 am

The Half Dome cables will not be in place over the May 21-23 permit period. Snowpack in the Yosemite high country is currently well above average (134% in the Merced River basin), with the potential for additional cool, wet weather in the next week. As a result, the Half Dome cable route and subdome are covered in deep snow, making trail conditions poor. For the safety of National Park Service employees setting up the cables and for hikers, the cables will not be put up until conditions improve. We will monitor conditions over the next two weeks and issue an expected opening date as soon as possible. If you have a permit for May 21-23, you will receive a refund for the reservation fee. (Learn more about the Half Dome hike. Please note that permits are required to hike to Half Dome on Fridays-Sundays and holidays beginning this year.)

Source:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildcond.htm
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby HalfDomeRick » Sun May 30, 2010 7:10 am

Still too much snow on the trail and on sub dome. Cables will NOT be up at least thru June 6. :evil:

-Mr Half Dome
HalfDomeRick

Postby Wickett » Sun May 30, 2010 9:10 am

The word from the rangers when I was there yesterday was that they are planning on the 17th of June.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Erich1B » Mon May 31, 2010 4:53 pm

Wickett wrote:The word from the rangers when I was there yesterday was that they are planning on the 17th of June.

I will be there the 12th through the 19th. I've waited a year to get there, and it doesn't look like I'll be able to make it to the top of Half Dome. :cry:

I'll have to make reservations for August 2011. I've got my mind set on going to the top of Half Dome.
Erich1B
Regular
Regular

Postby bairn7 » Mon May 31, 2010 10:33 pm

Sorry to hear that Erich. I'm the same, I come over from the UK and climb half dome every year. This year I had actually planned on hiking half dome on 17th so I'm keeping my fingers crossed but need to start making back up plans.

Can someone recommend an alternative hike, just in case the cables are still down, which is accessible just now and similar in intensity and duration to the half dome hike?
bairn7

Postby hotrod4x5 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:27 am

bairn7 wrote:Sorry to hear that Erich. I'm the same, I come over from the UK and climb half dome every year. This year I had actually planned on hiking half dome on 17th so I'm keeping my fingers crossed but need to start making back up plans.

Can someone recommend an alternative hike, just in case the cables are still down, which is accessible just now and similar in intensity and duration to the half dome hike?
How about from the valley floor to the top of Yosemite Falls, then keep going to the top of North Dome and back. Or go the other way, top of Yo Falls, then west along the top of El Cap and down to the Big Oak Flat Rd.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Erich1B » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:39 am

hotrod4x5 wrote:
bairn7 wrote:Sorry to hear that Erich. I'm the same, I come over from the UK and climb half dome every year. This year I had actually planned on hiking half dome on 17th so I'm keeping my fingers crossed but need to start making back up plans.

How about from the valley floor to the top of Yosemite Falls, then keep going to the top of North Dome and back. Or go the other way, top of Yo Falls, then west along the top of El Cap and down to the Big Oak Flat Rd.

How long a route is that?
Erich1B
Regular
Regular

Eagle Peak

Postby dan » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:22 pm

Half Dome is fun to do I recommend it, but it's not that great of a view. First, you can't see Half Dome (you're on it!). Second, you're too close to the rest of the Valley and usually staring into the Sun.

One of the best views, I think, is from Eagle Peak. Hike up Yosemite Falls Trail and head left (west) to Eagle Peak. Great views up the Valley, with the sun behind you! Can also see Glacier Point, Half Dome, and lots of other domes.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Eagle Peak

Postby Erich1B » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:20 pm

dan wrote:Half Dome is fun to do I recommend it, but it's not that great of a view. First, you can't see Half Dome (you're on it!). Second, you're too close to the rest of the Valley and usually staring into the Sun.

One of the best views, I think, is from Eagle Peak. Hike up Yosemite Falls Trail and head left (west) to Eagle Peak. Great views up the Valley, with the sun behind you! Can also see Glacier Point, Half Dome, and lots of other domes.

Dan,

Thanks for the suggestion. How long would that take a person? I realize different times for different people, but for someone who's in pretty good shape?

Erich
Erich1B
Regular
Regular

Postby dan » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:34 pm

Erich,
It's about 4 hours up, 2 hours down from the Valley floor to the Rim (7 miles round trip). Allow another 3 hours to head to Eagle Peak and back (another 6 miles round trip). YMMV!

Here's a map:
http://www.yosemite.ca.us/maps/yosemite ... p_2006.pdf
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Erich1B » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:05 am

dan wrote:Erich,
It's about 4 hours up, 2 hours down from the Valley floor to the Rim (7 miles round trip). Allow another 3 hours to head to Eagle Peak and back (another 6 miles round trip). YMMV!

Here's a map:
http://www.yosemite.ca.us/maps/yosemite ... p_2006.pdf

Thanks Dan,

I spent some time online last night reading about this hike, and did find the link that you sent. Thanks for the feedback on the hike time. This will be a "must do" hike for my wife and I while we're at Yosemite.

Any idea about current snow on this route?

Erich
Erich1B
Regular
Regular

Postby hotrod4x5 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:08 am

To the OP: North Dome is about 5 miles from the top of Yosemite Falls. When you are up there, you are right across the valley from Half Dome, it almost feels like you can reach out and touch it.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Vlado » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:45 pm

The Half Dome cables will not be in place over the June 4-6 or June 11-13 permit periods.

The combination of heavy winter snows and continuing spring snow storms has kept the snow pack from melting along the trail to Half Dome, including the portion of the trail on the subdome, below the Half Dome cables. A slip and fall from the subdome's steep snowfield could cause serious injury or death. For the safety of hikers and the employees setting up the cables, the cables will not be put up until conditions improve. We will monitor conditions over the next two weeks and issue an expected opening date as soon as possible.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/halfdome.htm
Vlado
Regular
Regular

Return to Half Dome Hiking