Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Carless camping

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Carless camping

Postby sarahpuffer » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:37 pm

Hi everyone. I want to camp in Yosemite from approximately July 5-11.

I'll be coming into the San Fran airport, and taking Amtrack over. I'm thinking I'll have to stay at a hotel near the park (or inside, if they aren't all full) and then go to the campground in the morning so I can get a spot.

First question, hotel suggestions?

Tuolumne Meadows looks perfect to me, reservations are full but 50% of sites are on first come, first serve basis. Second question, if I get there bright and early, will I be sure to get a spot?

Third, there are no showers or laundry facilities in Tuolumne, it looks like. Could I shuttle/train down to the valley campsite in the morning every other day and use shower facilities there?

Last, I read that in Tuolumne there is a restaurant, post office, grocery store, bathrooms.. are these all within walking distance of the campground?

Thanks!

Sarah
sarahpuffer

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:31 pm

First, if you have no car how will you get to the campground first thing in the morning from any of the hotels? or are you renting in merced instead of taking YARTS?

You might check the motels/hotels in El Portal, Mariposa and Oakhurst. There are also campgrounds at Bass Lake and outside the park. But I have no idea if YARTS will facilitate your transit from these locations.

Second... you might get a spot if you are there first thing in the morning... no guarantees.

Third... the free shuttle systems don't connect, but there is a tour/hiker bus you might be able to get a ticket for.

I'd just buy a bunch of wet wipes or take a washcloth and do a wash at the sink in the restroom. Or jump in the river. No soap in the river, and you'd want a suit or shorts/shirt... but it would be refreshing.

Lastly, yes, the store/grill is easy walking from the campground.
Last edited by AlmostThere on Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Carless camping

Postby hotrod4x5 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:32 pm

sarahpuffer wrote:Hi everyone. I want to camp in Yosemite from approximately July 5-11.

I'll be coming into the San Fran airport, and taking Amtrack over. I'm thinking I'll have to stay at a hotel near the park (or inside, if they aren't all full) and then go to the campground in the morning so I can get a spot.

First question, hotel suggestions?

Tuolumne Meadows looks perfect to me, reservations are full but 50% of sites are on first come, first serve basis. Second question, if I get there bright and early, will I be sure to get a spot?

Third, there are no showers or laundry facilities in Tuolumne, it looks like. Could I shuttle/train down to the valley campsite in the morning every other day and use shower facilities there?

Last, I read that in Tuolumne there is a restaurant, post office, grocery store, bathrooms.. are these all within walking distance of the campground?

Thanks!

Sarah
With the late Tioga road opening this season, everything else up there will be opening late. Most likely by July 5th, it will all be open, but who knows?

You might want to stay in Merced, then take the YARTS to Toulumne, but it won't get you there bright and early. Or you can take Yarts from Merced to El Portal and stay at one of the motels there, but you better reserve asap, and it will be pretty pricey for the summer high season.

Since July 5th is a Monday, you might get lucky to find something in the FCFS, but who knows? You should have a backup plan. Like maybe taking Yarts down to Lee Vining where there are a couple motels, or to Mammoth Lakes where there are lots of motels.

Sure you can go down to the valley to shower and use the laundry, it'll take most of the day probably. Personally, I can go 4 or 5 days without a shower, but that's me.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby sarahpuffer » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:18 pm

hmm.. I see that Dorst in Sequoia has lots of openings, but it's probably nothing like Tuolumne Meadows, is it?

And does it have a shuttle?
sarahpuffer

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:28 pm

If you are a hiker/backpacker there are some awesome granite strewn landscapes in Sequoia... but no, Dorst is nothing like TM, nor are any of the other campgrounds.

There is a shuttle that comes up from Visalia tho.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Carless camping in Tuolumne Campground

Postby dan » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:07 pm

Bright and early is a good bet for campgrounds. Too early though, people haven't packed up and left. But what you could do is ask around if someone is leaving. You need to reserve the site at the ranger booth at the campground entrance (and that doesn't open until, I don't remember, 8 or 9 am or so).

There ARE showers in Tuolumne. You can use the showers at Tuolumne High Sierra Camp during the middle of the day (in the evening the showers are heavily used and available to the guests only). You pay for the showers, soap, and towel. The Tuolumne HSC is behind (southeast of) the Tuolumne Ranger Station, not to be confused with the Tuolumne Visitor Center.

There are showers also in Camp Curry in Yosemite Valley.

The "restaurant" (fast food), "post office", and store are all one canvas tent--it's within walking distance of the campground (between the CG and the Tioga Road). Bathrooms too.

Here's a map of Tuolumne Campground
http://www.yosemite.ca.us/maps/tuolumne ... nd_map.jpg
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds