Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Fishing Advice!

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Fishing Advice!

Postby bruinstarz » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:56 am

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum but I definitely need some help!

My husband, friend and I are going to Yosemite this weekend and I would like to do some fishing. I have only done a tiny bit of fishing in my life and was reading up on what was permitted in the park. It looks like only spin fishing and fly fishing are allowed. I can see from research that fly fishing isn't something you go out and do if you haven't done it before, so I think I might try spin fishing. I was wondering if anyone had any advice and any gear setups for backpacking that they would recommend. Any info would be appreciated !! Thank you.
bruinstarz
First-timer
First-timer

Postby hotrod4x5 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:23 am

You mention backpacking, how far are you going? What trail?
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:46 am

You will need a California fishing license (about 40 per year, somewhat less for a short term license) and a familiarity with the regulations in Yosemite.

Mostly, you will be using artificial lures (flies, spinners) and in some waterways (like the Merced River through the valley and some distance south of the park) are catch and release only. Limits also differ - in some lakes and waterways you have size limitations as well.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/fishing/sportfishingfaqs.html

You need a license if you are 16 or older.

July 4 and Sept 6 are free fishing days, no license required.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fishingpassport/guide.asp

There are also fishing seasons in some areas. You can catch brook, rainbow, or brown trout.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite