Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Wilderness Permits

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Wilderness Permits

Postby archive » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:39 pm

Author: Sangita & Peter (---.cw-visp.com)
Date: 06-12-01 14:15

We are planning to hike the entire length of the John Muir Trail (July/August) starting in Yosemite Valley. There are no Reserved Permits left and we have to resort to a 'first come - first serve basis' permit. Can anyone tell us how easy these are to obtain?

Re: Wilderness Permits
Author: Dan Anderson (---.drydog.com)
Date: 06-12-01 16:13

You've picked the most popular tailhead in the park to start,
Happy Isles.

Half are reserved in advance, and half are available first-come, first-served. They are available up to 24 hours in advance. So you can get the permit the day before (when they open in the morning). Monday through Thursday are the best days to start as a lot of people start out on the weekends.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Yosemite Backcountry Permit Requests

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:01 am

Author: Chris George (---.vianet.ca)
Date: 08-21-03 08:34

I applied for a backcountry permit about 2 weeks ago over the web. They sent me an email stating the following:

THANK YOU FOR THE RESERVATION REQUEST. WE HAVE RECEIVED AND
PROCESSED ONE OF YOUR CHOICES. WE WILL SEND A WRITTEN CONFIRMATION
TO YOUR MAILING ADDRESS WITHIN TWO WEEKS. THIS MESSAGE CONFIRMS
YOUR RESERVATION REQUEST!

Does this mean that I got the permits? I still haven't recieved notice in the mail, and I need to know.

Thanks

Re: Yosemite Backcountry Permits
Author: Mike (---.dsl.sktn01.pacbell.net)
Date: 09-04-03 09:50

I'd call them at 209-372-0740. You should have had the info by now.

Mike
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby paul1001 » Tue May 22, 2007 3:55 am

So if I show up early enough in the mourning in Yosemite (and willing to wait 1or 2 days), I shouldn't worry about getting a permit for the JMT??

Because there aren't any permits left for the end of july and I don't know when I'll exactly arrive in Yosemite.

thanks for answer/advice!
paul1001
First-timer
First-timer

Postby dan » Thu May 24, 2007 5:31 pm

I've never done it, but I've seen people camp out early in the morning for a permit for the same day or next day. That means being there in line well before the place opens, if you want to be safe. No guarantees.

Not departing on a weekend day helps.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking