Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Solar Showers allowed?

Discussion about Yosemite black bears, protecting food, automobiles from bears, and preserving and managing Yosemite bears.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Solar Showers allowed?

Postby straatsmaj » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:27 pm

With all of the restrictions to protect from bears, I am wondering if we will be allowed to set out a solar shower bag to heat up in the sun while we are away from our campsite in the valley during the day?
straatsmaj
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Solar Showers allowed?

Postby dan » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:08 pm

Yes you can set out a solar shower. The bear will not likely destroy it, unless it has food smell on the bag. In either case, you need to pack out the shower shower.

I've taken a shower shower out several times and had no problems with bears or other animals damaging the bag. The biggest problem is finding a perfect place to hang it--on a tree the right height over a rock. I often just find a hot rock and hold up the bag.

One time I was showering and a few hundred feet in front of me passed a mother and her two cubs. Fortunately, they weren't interested in me. The cubs were pretty cute with their ears bobbing up and down as they hopped over logs.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Nunguis » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:52 pm

I thought you're not allowed to shower at all by campsites or in the valley!?!?!?! Only in the public showers available. :?:
Nunguis
First-timer
First-timer

Postby dan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:32 pm

Nunguis wrote:I thought you're not allowed to shower at all by campsites or in the valley!?!?!?! Only in the public showers available. :?:

Sorry, I should have been more clear--thanks for pointing that out.

In the Wilderness you can shower anywhere, as long as it's not next to a lake or stream.

Front-country campsites have a different set of rules. You can still set out a shower bag (or any water bag) to heat up for hot water use--you just can't use it as a shower, unless it's inside a RV where the waste water is retained in a holding tank.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Bears