Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Hiking in Yosemite

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Hiking in Yosemite

Postby Josep » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:56 am

Hi, I'm Josep, from Spain. In ten 10 days I'll be travelling over California. I'll go to Yosemite and I want to do some hiking there, I'm loking for a 2-3 days trail, any suggestion or idea about where I could find information. Is there any book you would recomend me?
Once you've seen sequoias in Yosemite, is it worth visiting Sequoia National Park?
I also want to climb mount Whitney, I've red the easiest way is from Lone Pine. I would do it in two days. Is there any hut to spend the night in order to split de way in two.
Later on I'll visit Grand Canyon and Yellowstone and I also want to do hiking there, I need suggestions or hiking books. I'll arrive in San Francisco and I'll stay there for two days, any book shop there to find that kind of literature?
Thank you in advance!
Josep
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Hiking in Yosemite

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:39 am

Josep wrote:Hi, I'm Josep, from Spain. In ten 10 days I'll be travelling over California. I'll go to Yosemite and I want to do some hiking there, I'm loking for a 2-3 days trail, any suggestion or idea about where I could find information. Is there any book you would recomend me?

There are a lot of trails that will fit your description - you don't mention any previous backcountry backpacking experience or equipment, so it's hard to recommend one, but I would suggest starting on Tioga Pass and hiking to the valley via Clouds Rest/Half Dome.

Information on wilderness permits, food storage, miles, trailhead quotas, and how to get a permit is http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/backpacking.htm

Once you've seen sequoias in Yosemite, is it worth visiting Sequoia National Park?

YES. The sequoias in SNP are often larger, more numerous, and more awe inspiring than the small groves in YNP.

I also want to climb mount Whitney, I've red the easiest way is from Lone Pine. I would do it in two days. Is there any hut to spend the night in order to split de way in two.

You will need permits to do this. All reservable permits for 2010 are GONE. You may be able to get a walk in permit at the ranger station in Lone Pine. From the east side this is a 22 mile round trip climbing the highest mountain in the continental US. Some people have trouble with the elevation and start to experience high altitude sickness, others just can't handle the length and difficulty of the hike. Staying overnight will mean backpacking to one of the places to camp (Trail Camp) and summiting the next day, which helps some, but it will be very crowded. there are no huts to stay in. There is no EASY way to do Whitney, however, I am going to include a summit from the west side on a week long backpack, myself, which gives the body a chance to acclimate (some of the high passes are nearly as high as Whitney) before heading up to the top. The day hike is also half as long from that side.

[/quote]
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby dan » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:27 am

Josep wrote:I'm loking for a 2-3 days trail, any suggestion or idea about where I could find information. Is there any book you would recomend me?

Yosemite National Park: A Natural-History Guide to Yosemite and Its Trails (Wilderness Press, 2000) by Jeffrey P. Schaffer
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... ewebindex/

Information on trails and Wilderness Permits is on the National Park Service website:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/backpacking.htm

Josep wrote:Once you've seen sequoias in Yosemite, is it worth visiting Sequoia National Park?

The Giant Forest Grove of Giant Sequoia trees in Sequoia National Park is much larger and has larger trees than the smaller Wawona Grove in Yosemite. However, you'll spend 2 days traveling to and from Sequoia National Park, and I don't think it's worth taking that much time just traveling.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby sally » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:09 pm

Yes, Dan it may be a waste of that time to go to Sequoia, but King's Canyon might be worth it. That is some very heavy scenery and an interesting road. I loved it...and Sequoia as well. But didn't spend more than two days seeing both of these national parks. True about time limits. Gorgeous parks however, all three of them.
sally

Postby baseline bum » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:13 pm

Here's some info that might be useful regarding walk-in permits for Mount Whitney:

http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthread ... ons#Post20
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation ... tney.shtml

If you look at this schedule of overnights for the Whitney Zone ,updated July 16th, there's lots of openings for the dates before that (e.g., 20 on July 11th, 9 on the 12th, 16 on the 13th, 2 on the 14th, 11 on the 15th). I wonder if those are counts of the no-shows not snapped up by walk-ins for those days.
baseline bum
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby Steve C » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:35 am

baseline, thanks for the whitneyzone link.

Regarding that Inyo NF link, that page shows the numbers of permits that were NOT used on each particular day. Notice that after the update date of the calendar, there are zero permits. That is because all the reservations are taken.

However, those reservations were passed out during the February lottery, so lots of people change their minds, and just don't show up.

On WhitneyZone, I keep track of all those unused permits for each year. You can find them by Googling "Unused Whitney Permits for 2010"
Each unused permits page links to the other year's numbers as well.
Steve C

Return to Visiting Yosemite