Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Rookie Backpacker seeks advice on easy 3 day hike

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Rookie Backpacker seeks advice on easy 3 day hike

Postby cherokeedriver » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:50 pm

I'm planning on taking my daughter on a 3 day (possibly 4) backpacking trip near Tuolumne Meadows beginning on Tuesday June 26. I have no permits, so I'm planning at being at a station early AM on departure day. Any suggestions on routes and locations would be appreciated. This will be my daughter's first wilderness experience and I want it to be a good one. Neither of us are in great physical shape, so I'm thinking of 5 to 8 mile-a-day trails, with no more than moderate grades. I would also consdider other areas, even outside the park.

Thanks
cherokeedriver

Re: Rookie Backpacker seeks advice on easy 3 day hike

Postby dan » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:25 pm

My favorite is probably Lyell Canyon, because it follows the Lyell Fork with all it's meadows and lake-lets, and gradually rises to a view back of Tuolumne.

Cathederal Lakes and Sunrise Lakes from the John Muir Trail is also nice. High alpine meadows--and sunrise from the Sunrise Lakes area is really a sight to see, if you have a clear view over the meadows.

You can also hike to a lake, such as Young Lakes or Gaylor Lakes and take dayhikes from there.

It helps to have a map of the Tuolumne Meadows region.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Just returned - had awesome trip

Postby cherokeedriver » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:06 pm

Dan:

Thanks for the info. We opted for the Cathedral Lakes. We camped at lower lake and the next day we day hiked to the upper lake and south towards sunrise. We had a great time. I forgot how much I like the high country and hopefully my daughter will want to go again (on some of those other routes you suggested) Thanks.

Joe
cherokeedriver

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking