Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Anyone been to the Rae Lakes area yet?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in the Sierra Nevada and elsewhere outside Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Anyone been to the Rae Lakes area yet?

Postby Sierrasteve » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:47 pm

I've got a permit for the Rae Lakes coming up within the next 12 days or so and wondering how conditions are. I'm sure a lot can change in the next week and a half, but curious how the conditions are.

I expect glen to be snowy then but no big deal, that should just make the trip more fun. just don't wanna encounter any route finding difficulties

I realize Rae Lakes is in Kings Canyon, not Yosemite, but I figure some of you here often venture into other parts of the Sierra and might have some info for me.
Sierrasteve

Postby bill-e-g » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:35 pm

PCT goes right thru there. PCT hikers are blazing the way for you.

I'd go up Woods b4 Bubbs if there was any concern about Glen.

Have fun
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Diesel » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:33 pm

Hey steve, looks like ill be doing the rae lakes loop around the same time as you. Im leaving on the 23rd. Glen is still a little snowy last i heard, but people tell me the weather at kings canyon has definitely gotten warmer in the past couple weeks. I wouldnt worry about it for now- just follow the footprints of the pcters , as bill said.
Last edited by Diesel on Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diesel
Regular
Regular

Postby Alan » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:51 pm

Hi Steve,

I just completed the JMT southbound (6/26-7/11) and went by Rae Lakes on 7/8. There is essentially no snow on the trail past the lakes until the final set of switchbacks up to Glen Pass from the north. Even there the trail is easy to locate and most of the switchbacks are clear. The most challenging part is at the top, where there is a 100-200 yard track across the steepest part of the face through the snow to get to the top. The tracks are well-worn from 100 or so PCT-ers, and it is definitely doable. I had poles, which made it much easier, but no crampons or ice ax. The south side of the pass has even less snow--a number of 20 yard patches across switchbacks that are navigable with caution.

I'd never been to that area and loved it. I wish I could have taken a zero day there. Good luck!
Alan

Postby Sierrasteve » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:37 pm

Thanks, Alan. how were the skeeters there?
Sierrasteve

Return to Hiking & backpacking outside Yosemite National Park