Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

high sierra loop july 6-11

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

high sierra loop july 6-11

Postby sheila » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:30 am

I'm hiking Sunrise, Merced Lake, Vogelsang, Tuolumne next week (starting July 6), and I have a few questions for anyone who can help me:

- are mosquitoes bad this year?

- how long will it take me to hike from Merced Lake to Vogelsang? (I'm in decent shape -- I run about 15 miles a week, at about 8-9 min/mile, but that's on flat routes)

- how long will it take me to hike from Vogelsang to Tuolumne Meadows?

- I'm hiking one section alone -- should I have a bear bell or something similar?

- are trails well marked or will I need to do some navigating?

- will there be sources of water on each leg of the trail? (I have a filter, so I'm hoping to refill my water bottles and/or swim)

Any other advice would be welcome. Thanks!
sheila

Re: high sierra loop july 6-11

Postby dan » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:04 am

sheila wrote:- are mosquitoes bad this year?

No. It's a dry year and there's few mosquitoes.

sheila wrote:- how long will it take me to hike from Merced Lake to Vogelsang? (I'm in decent shape -- I run about 15 miles a week, at about 8-9 min/mile, but that's on flat routes)

Well, lets see. 7.5 miles and 3500' up (via Fletcher Creek) should take about 6 hours. Add an hour for lunch. Add an hour if you go via Lewis Creek, which is much more spectacular and less-used.

sheila wrote:- how long will it take me to hike from Vogelsang to Tuolumne Meadows?

It's around 7 miles, so should take about 3 hours via Rafferty Creek.
The Evely Lake Trail is longer but much more scenic--as you see more of Lyell Canyon and aren't in the trees as much. That's about 12 miles though and will take about 5 hours.

sheila wrote:- I'm hiking one section alone -- should I have a bear bell or something similar?

No. Black bears aren't that aggressive and are usually nocturnal. Bear bells are poor noise makers in any case--they can't be heard very far.

sheila wrote:- are trails well marked or will I need to do some navigating?

They are well-marked and well-traveled, but take a map.

sheila wrote:- will there be sources of water on each leg of the trail? (I have a filter, so I'm hoping to refill my water bottles and/or swim)

Lots of water all along the way.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby sheila » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:33 am

thanks, that's great!

one more thing: will I need to buy a wilderness permit, or is that included in the fee when you stay at a High Sierra Camp?
sheila

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking