Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Bug report

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in the Sierra Nevada and elsewhere outside Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Bug report

Postby mikecain3 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:33 am

I'm heading out to King's canyon this week (I know this is for Yosemite, but you all are so responsive that it is a good resource.) and wanted to get a feel for the bug conditions. We will be spending nights at 7400' and then a couple of nights higher up at say 9500'. Close to creeks and lakes the whole time. (Bubbs and East Lake)

Have the bugs been tolerable? Is bug juice and a headnet good enough or are people hiding in tents and bivies to avoid them. Is 9500' high enough to limit them?

Thanks.
mikecain3
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Dave Miller » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:30 pm

A friend just got back from Emigrant Wilderness at about that elevation and he said the mosquitos were pretty nasty. He used a head net and gloves and still ended up in his tent after dinner. It got better after the sun went down.

I'll be up at Ten Lakes in two weeks and I'm expecting lots of bugs.
Dave Miller
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:40 pm

Interested how fast Bubbs is flowing where you have to cross to get to East.
Please let me know after you get back.

As far as bugs.... Higher may actually end up giving you MORE bugs.
We've been blasted big time almost every single time we've gone
to Rodgers Lake (about 9600 ft.) in July.

Just gotta expect mosquitos in July and hope for the best.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby mikecain3 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:37 pm

Just got back. The bugs were bad but not horrible. Seems like the lower elevations - say 7500' - were better than 9500. I didn't need a headnet, although I saw a few people wearing them. I never accidently inhaled any :D . Our last night along Bubbs creek was the best - no bugs at all. People coming from Rae Lakes had mixed bugs reports.

Crossing Bubbs to East Lake was laid out with markers. There is a crew working up there so finding the zig zag path is easy. Only 5 people were at East Lake. Zero people at Reflection. The fish in Reflection were all over the place. Big ones.

It was a nice destination. Finsihing the trip with a swim/bath in the river was an expected bonus. Nothing against Yosemite. I feel like a trader posting this on a Yosemite forum.
mikecain3
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:03 am

IMO East and Reflection easily trump Rae Lakes.
Although I thought the Lake at 10,700 west of Ericsson Crags
was even nicer. At least I enjoyed it more anyway.
Kings is awesome. It's all good. No need for the "traitor" moniker.
For me, I end up having to solo Kings due to the gains required
to make it worthwhile IMO.
(try Granite Basin on day 1 if you think otherwise)
:)

Thanks for the report.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Wawona1 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:11 pm

Just did a few days for work on Cathderal Fork, east of Sunrise HSC, and the bugs are very, very bad. About 8500'
Wawona1
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Pilgrim490 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:16 am

As of 7/30, mosquito city from TM down Rafferty, all the way till decent to Merced HSC. Once you're at that elevation, no problem. I will say the bugs are a good motivator on the trail! you simply don't want to stop moving! That said, bring long sleeves and pants, and you'll be fine.
Pilgrim490
Regular
Regular

Return to Hiking & backpacking outside Yosemite National Park