Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

(urgent-ish) hike to sunrise camp from trailhead at tioga rd

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

(urgent-ish) hike to sunrise camp from trailhead at tioga rd

Postby sheila » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:55 pm

hello from Fresno,

Wondering if you can estimate how long it takes a reasonably fit person to hike up to Sunrise Trail from the trailhead (and/or the latest time of day one should consider starting the hike).

backstory: I've just been informed that my luggage has been delayed and will show up in Fresno just before noon, so I don't think I'll be at the trailhead before 4 pm. Do you think I can get up to Sunrise Camp before dark?

thanks again for all your help! :)
sheila

Re: (urgent-ish) hike to sunrise camp from trailhead at tiog

Postby dan » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:13 am

Start from the Tenaya Lake Trailhead (south side of the Lake). It's about 6 miles and 2000'--about 4 hours.

Otherwise, it's 8 miles and 2000' from the Sunrise Trailhead west of the Tuolumne Visitor Center--that's about 5 hours.

Sunset's now at 8:20 and Civil Twilight is 9pm--after Civil Twilight it's too dark to hike. You can always hike with a flashlight, but at night it's best to have two sets of eyes and I wouldn't do it alone.

Consider extending your trip another day or changing your iternary.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby sheila » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:26 am

thanks, Dan.

I'll make sure I have at least 4 hrs, or figure something else out.

And I'm never checking my bags again.
sheila

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking