Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Happy Isles to Half Dome to Clouds Rest to Tenaya Lake

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Happy Isles to Half Dome to Clouds Rest to Tenaya Lake

Postby gkam2 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:40 am

Hey Guys,

I have hiked Half Dome a bunch of times, all day trips. Leave the bay area around 4:30am, reach the top around 2pm and then back in the bay area around 9pm or so.

The last time I went up however my friend and I left the bay area at 9pm and then got to the trail head at Happy Isles at 12:15am, and started hiking to Half Dome. We got to the top around 4:30am and watched the sunrise. After that we left for Clouds Rest. I don't know if it was the all nighter or the alttiude but it was a pretty good, tiring hike. Got to the top of Clouds Rest, awesome view, and then hiked back to Happy Isles and returned around 6-7 or so.

My next trip however, ~Aug 9th, I want to do something along the same lines but this time stay a night or two. I want to do Half Dome, Clouds rest, and then also Tenaya Lake and either shuttle back or hike back.

However I want to know more information. I am all about doing something big and going for it so I am looking for tips from anyone about cool sites to see or other hikes to do or even side trips. I really just want to go far and go big without a whole lot people.

Don't be shy and tell me your big yosemite hike ideas

PS. Im really into doing the scary stuff, so dangerous hikes and heights are not a problem

Thanks!
gkam2
Regular
Regular

Postby jpcal » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:20 pm

PS. Im really into doing the scary stuff, so dangerous hikes and heights are not a problem

Check out the ledge trail, very dangerous, probably very scary, not recommended, but its your choice. Sierra Point is off the trail, find your own way up hike. Only place where you can see Vernal , Nevada, Illouette, Upper/Lower Falls in the same spot.

I've gone from Tenya Lake to Half Dome to the valley. Would recommend this way instead of the opposite. It is all up hill from the Valley to Tenya Lake. I didn't see anyone attempting to go this way, however I did see 2-3 backpackers set up camp on the trail.
jpcal
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:57 am

I just did Dana for the first time - Half Dome? HA. Dana is now my annual favorite hike. There were six people there all day, and the 360 degree view is awesome. Hard, steep, crumbly trail that turns into a maze on the back of the mountain, but easily the best peak this year - we go to Alta, Kaiser, Clouds, most of the walk up peaks around Yosemite, SEKI and the Sierra NF in between.

We're doing Hoffman a little later as well, and heading out to Glen Aulin next week.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby gkam2 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:04 am

Thanks for the information guys. After doing some research I'm proposing to my hiking partner that we go to

Day 1 - HI to Half Dome to Clouds to Tenaya Lake
Day 2 - Tenaya Lake up to May Lake then do Mount Hoffman then back down to Tuolumne Meadows
Day 3 - TMeadows to Sunrise lakes
Day 4 - Sunrise Lakes to HI

Does anyone have a estimate on how many miles that is?

And whats the cheapest/best water filter you know of? Those words probably don't go to together but it helps
gkam2
Regular
Regular

Postby cjoz » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:57 pm

gkam2 wrote:Thanks for the information guys. After doing some research I'm proposing to my hiking partner that we go to

Day 1 - HI to Half Dome to Clouds to Tenaya Lake
Day 2 - Tenaya Lake up to May Lake then do Mount Hoffman then back down to Tuolumne Meadows
Day 3 - TMeadows to Sunrise lakes
Day 4 - Sunrise Lakes to HI

Does anyone have a estimate on how many miles that is?

And whats the cheapest/best water filter you know of? Those words probably don't go to together but it helps

On filters, not sure what's the cheapest/best, but I like my Katydn Hiker.

On your itinerary. Definitely get a trail map and scope it out not just for mileage but for elevation changes. For example, Day 1 is going to be about 19 miles plus a massive elevation gain (HI is 4100ft - CRest is 9920ft) w/ a full backpack (plus add 1K up and 1K down for going up HD and back down to CR trail). Personally, not my idea of fun.

Also check out the wilderness regs. to see if you can do what you want to do. http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildregs.htm

For example, wilderness camping at Tenaya lake is not really an option b/c you have to be 1 mile from the road. Might want to consider camping near the 1st Sunrise Lake off the CR/Sunrise trail junction.

Day 2 would be long too. Unless you're hiking along the road, it's at least 16 miles by trail to TM and that doesn't include the Mt. Hoffman excursion. Note too that you can't wilderness camp w/in 4 miles of TM. Might have to keep going to Catehdral Lakes or stop before TM (e.g., Glen Aulin area).

Days 3/4 sound doable, but the adjustments to above may change things for you.

Above all, beware that a permit from HI is going to be pretty tough to come by. May need to rethink entry/exit points.
cjoz
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:13 pm

Something to note - if you plan a route it has to be on trail. It can cross a road but cannot include hiking up the road to another trailhead. No shortcuts on roads.

You're not going to be able to camp in TM. If you do, you will need a second wilderness permit for the Sunrise to HI leg of the trip.

The Hiker Pro is often on sale for 50-60 dollars - since the filter cartridge itself is 40, that's not half bad. The lightest method that's also effective will be Micropur tablets (not iodine). I personally favor a gravity filter when water is plentiful. Most of them will work okay for anything but viruses, which are not typically a worry in Yosemite anyway. Giardia, definitely a worry. Crypto is possible but less likely. So any .2-.3 micron filter works, so take your pick - MSR, katadyn, platypus...
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Water Filter

Postby Hitech » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:31 pm

For a water filter I'd suggest a Sawyer Inline Filter:

http://www.moontrail.com/sawyer-sp121.php
Hitech
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking