Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Campsites on May Lake-Ten Lakes Circuit

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Campsites on May Lake-Ten Lakes Circuit

Postby MissKristin » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:16 am

We are doing a 6-day trip with Boy Scouts with mixed physical conditioning in August. From the trail guides/blogs I have seen, the backpacker camp at May Lake will probably end up as our first night. We would also like to spend a couple nights around 10-lakes, but get out to the exit trailhead at Tioga Road fairly early in the day.

Given the elevation losses-and-gains on this route, I am wondering where campsites with water make sense for us?

Any other insights would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks!
MissKristin

Re: Campsites on May Lake-Ten Lakes Circuit

Postby dan » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:39 pm

Water is at May Lake and Ten Lakes, of course. Yosemite Creek will probably be too low by August. I don't know about water in the South Fork of Tuolumne River, if you're thinking of camping between Ten Lakes and May Lake.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby MissKristin » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:09 am

Thanks for the info.

Kristin
MissKristin

Re: Campsites on May Lake-Ten Lakes Circuit

Postby Grzldvt » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:40 pm

dan wrote:Water is at May Lake and Ten Lakes, of course. Yosemite Creek will probably be too low by August. I don't know about water in the South Fork of Tuolumne River, if you're thinking of camping between Ten Lakes and May Lake.

That's a long haul between major water spots and some serious elevation gains and losses on that trip.
I did it many years ago, and I remember thinking water was a bit sparse, however there were some incredible campsites that overlook the Grand Canyon. There are also portions of this trip where you are dropping down along the side of a cliff, if you will, and there is no place to stop. Once you start down, you have to go all the way to the bottom. Sam with a couple of the climbs, one I remember having at least two false tops(just when you think you have reached the top, another climb shows up), both were pretty stiff.
If I were you and have the time and are local to the park(withing a 4 hour drive), I would do a pre-trip and scout(pardon the pun) out campsites and water. I have done it two days, it is tough to do in two days, but it will give you a clue. Because this is a dry year, creeks on the map could be dry. The map also shows a couple of small lakes off trail, but I think, they are nested in some pretty precarious areas. Don't hold me to it, but they show in the map right around some serious switchbacks.

You might consider a change in the itinerary. May Lake to Glen Aulin to Toulumne is not a bad trip. Elevations are much easier to deal with water is abundant, you could take a side trip to Polly Dome Lakes.

I would guess you have reservatiosn, but it might be worth a call to see if you can change them. You are starting at the same trailhead and that is what counts.
Just a thought.....
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking