Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Half Dome night hike fines?

Discussion about hiking to the top of Half Dome, planning the trip, and when the Half Dome cables are installed in Spring or removed in Fall.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Half Dome night hike fines?

Postby elmexveggie » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:29 am

I've never hiked half dome during the day, always do a night hike, starting at 10/11PM and reaching summit before sunrise. I've done it 5 times now, but with the new permit process I'm curious to know how things will pan out. I doubt they have someone at the top of sub dome at 4am. Correct me if i'm wrong please.

I was not able to get a permit and would like to visit the park sometime this month. Curious to know how strict the rangers are, and most importantly what the fine is if you descend the cables without a permit.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
elmexveggie
First-timer
First-timer

Postby Wickett » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:53 am

You could risk it, I doubt they will be there at 4 am and if you run into one on the way down just tell them you stopped at the cables. :D
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby lbskunk » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:11 am

A few of us are planning on doing a night hike to half-dome in September and we were all just wondering the same thing. Please let us know when you find out about the rangers hours on top of sub dome.
lbskunk

Postby baseline bum » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:51 pm

Would doing it on a weekday be out of the question? You wouldn't need a permit then.
baseline bum
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby Bullet777 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:12 am

the idea of the permit system is to stop the bad traffic jams on the cables. If you arrive at the cables before sunrise the rangers may be there but I reckon they would let you keep going as there would be no jam on the cables anywhere near that time. The rangers seem to be quite reasonable, they let hikers go up the cables without a permit when I was there on June 19 as long as they agreed to carry some of the gloves that people leave back down to the start of the trail.
Bullet777

Return to Half Dome Hiking