Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Mt Whitney-next summer (2011)

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in the Sierra Nevada and elsewhere outside Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Mt Whitney-next summer (2011)

Postby centurycyclist » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:10 pm

I know there is a lot of info on the internet about Mt. Whitney, but this forum seems to have plenty of respectable knowledge....I am planning to summit Mt. Whitney next summer. I am in my early 50's and the friend I am hiking with is in her mid 60's---we are both long-time long-distance cyclists and both of us hike the back country of Yosemite or Virginia Lakes every year. SO, do we leave the night before and hike up to the base camp to assure the possibility of making it to the top no matter what? We don't mind camping with minimal resources. What else would you suggest to us considering our age, yet knowing that we are not couch potatoes. We are open to any and all advice about making this happen....thanks!
centurycyclist
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:15 am

Post your question on the Whitney Portal Message board.
There you will get everything you need to know and more.
There are LOADS of experts over there that have done
pretty much everything on that mountain.

http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum ... p/ubb/cfrm

Maybe look here first:
http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/

Good luck
:)
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Steve C » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:20 am

Bill, the new Whitney forum, especially with first-timer information is whitneyzone. com

We've been running for a year now. It was created after the owner of the WPS forum dumped all the helpful information provided for the beginners and first-timers. You can now find all the links in the Feature Topics box on the left of most WhitneyZone forum pages.

So I hope centurycyclist will find it and join. We appreciate all the new people and their questions.

Link to the forum is in my signature. Click the picture to see the web cam.
Steve C

Return to Hiking & backpacking outside Yosemite National Park