Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Questions about visiting in late July

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Questions about visiting in late July

Postby rpowell » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:03 pm

Hi, I'm visiting Yosemite for the first time in a week from today, end of July. If anybody has been there recently, can you tell me if:
1) the waterfalls are dried up or nearly dried up
2) the wildflowers in Tuolomne Meadows are in bloom
3) Mirror Lake is dried up

Thanks. I am so excited for my trip and just trying to plan for it with the most current info possible. I realize it's not the best time of year for the most spectacular views of the falls, but hoping most of them will still be flowing somewhat.

Also, does anybody have personal favorite locations for sunrises and sets? I know that Glacier Point, Tunnel View, and Olmsted Point should have great sunsets. What about sunrises? Do the same locations generally produce equally stunning views in the AM as well as the PM? Since sunrise is at around 5:30AM, if I want great shots from one of those points, can I just sleep in my car at the location so I don't have to wake up even earlier to drive to the site? I'm really aiming for some great photography from this trip and want to do whatever it takes to get the job done. Is sunrise at Mariposa Grove pleasing?

Ok, enough questions! Thanks all, in advance....
rpowell

Re: Questions about visiting in late July

Postby dan » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:16 pm

The falls are getting very low, but haven't dried up yet. See this picture:
http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/fo ... hp?t=25978

I don't know about Tuolumne Meadows, but elsewhere at similar elevations the flowers in bloom are mainly around the streams and creeks.

Mirror Lake has been silting up for several years.

For sunrise, nothing beats Glacier Point. Don't miss it!

For sunset, I like Inspiration Point (Mariposa Tunnel View).
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby rpowell » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:57 am

Thanks Dan! I couldn't get that link to work. Also, do you think it's okay to just sleep in my car out at Glacier Point for instance, so I'm ready to go at sunrise?
rpowell

Postby dan » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:54 pm

Sorry, sleeping in the car is not allowed. You might be woke up in the middle of the night by a Ranger telling you to move along.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby rpowell » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:27 am

Can I sleep in my car anywhere in the park? Such as in one of the parking lots in the valley or one of the campgrounds (like the one out on Glacier Point Road)? It seems harmless to me, although I could see why the park would prefer you spend your money at one of their facilities...

Thanks again for your kind assistance.
rpowell

Postby dan » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:34 am

You can't sleep in your car except in the campgrounds. The closest campground is Bridalveil Creek, which is first-come, first-serve (no reservations). Your best chance is to get a site in the morning, when people are leaving. The next closest campground is Wawona campground, which can be reserved. To see what reservable campground dates are still available, see http://www.yosemitesites.com/ and click on "proximity campgrounds."
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby rpowell » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:08 pm

Well, since sleeping in the car inside the park boundaries doesn't seem to be a good idea, and since the only campsites available are first-come first-serve, and therefore unreliable to count on, where do you think the closest place outside of the park might be where I could just park my car and crash for the night? El Portal?
rpowell

Postby dan » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:17 pm

El Portal (Highway 140) or Yosemite West, west of Chinquapin
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite