Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

2 half day hikes in yosemite valley

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

2 half day hikes in yosemite valley

Postby joygem » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:39 pm

Hi. I'm taking tour into Yosemite. I'm pretty constrained by the tour's schedule. getting dropped off at Yosemite lodge and heading to Curry Village (~1:00pm). I want to do a half day hike for that afternoon.

Then i have the next morning to do a hike, but I have to be back at yosemmite lodge by ~1:00pm.

What are the 2 best half day hikes in yosemite valley?

More info - it'll be just me. I'm in decent shape. Recently hiked about 15 miles in redwood NP in a day (damnation creek, boy scout trail and a couple others). Did the stinson beach trail from Muir Woods this past weekend with no problem. But then again I'm certainly not in the college athlete shape I was in 5 years ago.
I appreciate all advice :)
joygem

Re: 2 half day hikes in yosemite valley

Postby dan » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:33 pm

First all, there's a good day hiking map of Yosemite Valley by the Park Service at
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/brochures.htm
(click on "Yosemite Valley Hiking Map")

Here's some suggestions:
* From Yosemite Lodge, hike up the Yosemite Falls Trail part way to Columbia Point--great view of Yosemite Valley. Start at the trailhead west of the large restroom building near the road at Lower Yosemite Falls. Takes about 3-4 hours (2 miles round trip, 1000' feet up)
* From the same trailhead, hike to Lower Yosemite Falls. Only takes a half hour.
* From Yosemite Lodge, walk on the bike trail along the Merced River to Swinging Bridge. Then head east to Yosemite Chapel at the old village, then cross the footbridge back to Yosemite Lodge. Takes an hour or two.
* Take the shuttle bus to Happy Isles (or walk to Happy Isles from Curry Village). From Happy Isles, take the Vernal Falls trail to the bridge over the Merced River--there's a good viewpoint of Vernal Falls upstream. Takes about 3 hours, including time to get to Happy Isles and back.

Print out the Valley hiking map (above), and the second page, which describes most of these hikes and others, to choose from.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby joygem » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:30 am

Thanks!
joygem

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking