Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Just realized I'll be in the park for Free Entry Weekend!!

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Just realized I'll be in the park for Free Entry Weekend!!

Postby dirtbagliz » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:11 am

"In 2010, entrance fees will be waived on...August 14-15"

That's from the NPS website, and we'll be there Aug. 13-15! Does this affect the crowd level in a really bad way, or is it about as manageable as other summer weekends?

More specifically, we want to get first-come first-served backpacking permits for 3 for Sunrise Lakes>Cloud's Rest>Yosemite Valley. I know that one is popular. Please let me know if I am making some huge planning mistakes, this will be my first visit ever!
dirtbagliz

Re: Just realized I'll be in the park for Free Entry Weekend

Postby dan » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:09 am

dirtbagliz wrote:"In 2010, entrance fees will be waived on...August 14-15"

That's from the NPS website, and we'll be there Aug. 13-15! Does this affect the crowd level in a really bad way, or is it about as manageable as other summer weekends?

More specifically, we want to get first-come first-served backpacking permits for 3 for Sunrise Lakes>Cloud's Rest>Yosemite Valley. I know that one is popular. Please let me know if I am making some huge planning mistakes, this will be my first visit ever!

Free weekends impact crowd level A LOT! I was there end of September once, thinking it was off-season, but it was some free weekend (I think the anniversary of something for the National Park Service). The place was PACKED! Avoid at all costs! Of course, this applies to the front-country. I don't think backpacking will be impacted by a few weekend days, unless you're trying for a wilderness permit entrance on those exact days. Being a day earlier should help. People don't arrive before the freebie dates in greater numbers to pay the higher entrance fees.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby dirtbagliz » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:34 am

Okay, thanks for all the great insight. I decided to push the trip back a day (all we can do, as this is all on a greater roadtrip), and hopefully it won't affect the backpacking trip too much.

As a result, I now have a free Sunday (on the free entry weekend) to plan. Back to square one...
dirtbagliz

Love the free-ness!

Postby BackpackerBC » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:09 pm

I was actually in Grand Canyon National Park during the National Park free admission week at the end of April.

Sweet!

It was a nice surprise since we didn't even expect it to be free. I don't mind supporting my National Parks though!
"Hunger, thirst, cold, fatigue, your own physical and mental limitations, you will feel all of these. This teaches you about nature, more than that, you come face to face with yourself. "
-Willi Unsoeld
BackpackerBC

Return to Visiting Yosemite