Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Half Dome Night Hike

Discussion about hiking to the top of Half Dome, planning the trip, and when the Half Dome cables are installed in Spring or removed in Fall.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Half Dome Night Hike

Postby archive » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:47 pm

Half Dome Night Hike
Author: blind as a bat (---.san.rr.com)
Date: 04-28-01 15:48

i plan on doing a night hike of hd up the mist trail ... any thoughts ... ??

Re: Half Dome Night Hike
Author: Common Sense (---.san.rr.com)
Date: 04-28-01 15:49

What are you crazy! I've heard parts of the trail are fairly slippery and a little dodgy. Save your head lamp batteries and a few taxpayer dollars on a medivac rescue, and go during the day.

-- CS

Author: blind as a bat (---.san.rr.com)
Date: 04-28-01 15:49

i was planning on medivacing out ... it'll be the trip highlight ...

Author: Paul Peterson (---.san.rr.com)
Date: 04-28-01 15:51

blind:

if you hike at night you will miss the views, spectacular.
when you do hike it, be sure to use the vernal and nevada
mist trails at least one way. each is wonderful.

from the top, i was a bit disappointed, i couldnt see half
dome!

the upper trail is closed in winter.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Half Dome Night Hike

Postby Hooshang » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:04 pm

This is an amazing hike. Do it in full moon. Start the hike around 11 pm and you will be on top around 5-5:30 before the Sunrise. I did it last year in June. It was too early and cold. There were patched of ice on cables. We did it again last Friday 08/27 in a group of 14, all made it to the top and admitted that it was one of their best experiences. Make sure everybody in your group has done it once during the day and know what are they facing when descending. It could get very cold on top even in summer. Take enough warm close and possibly blanket to use when waiting for sun rise.
Hooshang
First-timer
First-timer

Postby Bullet777 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:07 am

sounds like fun. But make sure the sun is up by the time you get to the top of half dome. The views would be magic.
Bullet777

Postby daddyray831 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:57 am

@hooshang.... what was the tuffest section of this hike during the night? i am planning on something like this in the middle of june.
daddyray831
Regular
Regular

Return to Half Dome Hiking