Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Easy trail in the backcountry for a first time backpacker.

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Easy trail in the backcountry for a first time backpacker.

Postby Gfurey » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:20 pm

Hey everyone! I finally talked my wife into taking a backpacking trip with me and I'm looking for an easy, semi-short trail into the backcountry to take her on. She has had a "no bathroom, no go" rule for a while but has finally agreed to a 3 day trip in a few weeks. I'm looking for some suggestions on trails. Thanks!!
"..acquire a peaceful spirit and thousands around you will be saved" St. Seraphim of Sarov
Gfurey

Postby petho » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:59 am

I am interested in the response you get. I am a first timer also and hope to take my first trip soon. The weather is turning cold so I think there is a short window for this year.
petho
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby hotrod4x5 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:15 pm

I think the trip to Glen Aulin is a good first time trip. 6 or so miles with a slight uphill on the return. You can camp at the back packer's camp with the proper permit.

Another hike I really enjoyed and I think is good for a first time is in the 20 lakes basin. Outside the park, on the eastern side, you camp at Saddlebag Lake, then hike to the far side of the lake and do the 4 mile loop. Amazing lakes and scenery.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:35 pm

May Lake is simple.
Lyell Canyon is nearly no elevation gain if you want.

Those 2 are super easy.

There are a bunch of others that really aren't difficult.
Most of the stuff out of TM is not that far.
Take it slow. Don't bring the kitchen sink.. and any newbie should
be able to do:
Lower Cathedral (3.5 Miles 1000 ft. gain)
Sunrise Lake (first one via Sunrise TH) (3 Miles 1100 ft. gain)
Glen Aulin (5.5 Miles. pretty much downhill on the way in) <1000 ft.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby kathy » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:23 pm

I'd second the nod for lower cathedral lake. We did it in August and other than those of us who were having a hard time acclimating, the trail itself was not a problem...rather mild.

Lyell Canyon is another. Level meandering for the most part.

We also hiked up Lembert Dome. A bit of elevation gain, not too much. Very exposed at the summit though, in case that's an issue. Tricky to "follow" about treeline, but if you just remember the way you came in and backtrack that same route you'll be ok.
Life's a trip...pack accordingly.
kathy
Regular
Regular

Postby Gfurey » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:51 pm

Thanks everyone!! I think it will be may or cathedral lakes!!! I just got finished climbing mt Langley so it will be nice to take her on a much shorter and much, much easier hike!! I love introducing people to backpacking and taking my wife on hers will be amazing! Thanks again for the help!!
"..acquire a peaceful spirit and thousands around you will be saved" St. Seraphim of Sarov
Gfurey

Postby guyd » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:17 pm

Gfurey,

If your are still on the forum, how was it for your wife...?
guyd
Regular
Regular

Return to Visiting Yosemite