Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Well, I'm Going

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Well, I'm Going

Postby Clamper » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:26 pm

Well, I'm Going

So my friend called the other day. His name isn't important to this story, so let's just call him "Mike". We've known each other for decades. We seen each other grow from wild teenagers to responsible adults. Oh, the stories we could tell.

When I heard his voice mail asking me to call him when I had a chance, I already knew what he was going to say. He was going to tell me that he would yet again be unable to make the next trip backpacking into Yosemite.

He use to be a reliable backpacking partner, and make at least two or three annual trips. But as time went on, with jobs, marriage and children, his forays into the wilderness became fewer and fewer. It soon became once a year, tops, and sometimes skipping a year.

After each trip, he would vow to go on the next one. I would look at him, half-frown, nod my head a little and say, "I hope so".

So I knew what this call was about. He would probably warn me about an imminent collapse in the commercial lighting business that could only be averted by his attention, or that he is sure that his wife really wanted him by her side that weekend. Don't get me wrong, those are both excellent reasons to postpone personal recreation, (except in all the years I have know his wife, she never fails to say, "Take him, please. Stay an extra day. He needs to go. He's driving me crazy.")

I returned his call.

"Hello?", he said.

"Where were you on August 1st, 2005, at 7:30pm?", I asked.

"I don't know, probably at home, doing something, I don't know.", he replied.

"I was in camp.", I said, " The last few embers were glowing from the cook fire. A breeze worked it's way through the trees. They swayed, as though they were dancing. It was the last dance. It was a love song. It was a slow song. It was a sad song.

"Birds went about their evening business. A cry here, a flutter there.

"The ridge towering above was bathed in evening-light. It's mid-day starkness now evolving into a sparkling light show of green, grey, and gold, assuming a new character every minute. In the waning light, it seems to grow and diminish at the same time.

"The nearby creek was telling a story. Almost voice-like, with every plop, drop and gurgle, it beckoned to come rest by its side, to better hear of all its triumphs and tragedies.

"I remember exactly where I was and what I was was doing. I was at 'home' in the mountains, enjoying the finest concert and light show that nature has to offer. My belly was full, and my heart content.

"I was lacking only one thing to make it complete."

"And that was....?", he asked.

"You.", I replied, then hung up.
Clamper

Postby oakroscoe » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:48 pm

That's a tearjerker Clamper. When was Mike's last trip, Aug 06 to Yosemite Creek?

Also, I feel left out for not being on that trip.
oakroscoe
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Clamper » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:16 pm

oakroscoe wrote:That's a tearjerker Clamper. When was Mike's last trip, Aug 06 to Yosemite Creek?

Also, I feel left out for not being on that trip.

First off, let me make things perfectly clear.

The above story is pure fiction. Any similarities to any person, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

In other news, the real Mike was able to join us for one trip so far this year. Much to his surprise, and likely to his chagrin, neither the commercial lighting business nor his family suffered from the lack of his vigilence.

If you're feeling left out, it's your own fault. It was your zany notion to leave a boring but perfectly functional low-paying meaningless job for one that offers a better than living wage and excellent benefits.

I suppose that during the interview, they never told you that they actually expect you to show up and work. I suppose that during the interview, you did nothing to convince them that view the Perseid show tonight was more important to you than green paper with dead president printed on it.

I seems to me that you did not explain adequately enough that the only paper of real value is a roll of 2-ply.
Clamper

Postby oakroscoe » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:45 pm

Clamper wrote:The above story is pure fiction. Any similarities to any person, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I assume that's to avoid lawsuits, just like books do to keep from getting sued...

Clamper wrote:If you're feeling left out, it's your own fault. It was your zany notion to leave a boring but perfectly functional low-paying meaningless job for one that offers a better than living wage and excellent benefits.

Yeah i have no idea what I was thinking on that one...

Clamper wrote:I suppose that during the interview, they never told you that they actually expect you to show up and work.

And sober too! The nerve of these guys.

Clamper wrote:You did nothing to convince them that view the Perseid show tonight was more important to you than green paper with dead president printed on it.

Speaking of good shows, supposedly the meteors are going to be out here in August....even down in El Sereno, I managed to see a few through the haze of my cigar smoke in a barrio backyard. You know that cosmic show has got to be great from the ridge up above Ten Lakes. Ironically, myself and Casey will be right there for a nice 3 night trip starting next Sunday.

In keeping with this thread, "I'm going"

Are you?
oakroscoe
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking