Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Winter Camping in the Valley

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park in Winter and most of Spring, when snow is on the ground. Includes visiting in winter, snow play, downhill and nordic skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, and snow camping.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Winter Camping in the Valley

Postby YosemiteReady » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:31 am

I would like to visit the Park sometime between mid-December to early January. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to stay, when to go and what gear to bring? Or should I just stay in a room?
YosemiteReady

Postby hotrod4x5 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:13 am

Should you stay in a room? Depends on how well adapted and equipped to sleep outside in sub freezing temperatures. The weather can vary a lot that time of year, from snow and freezing temps to clear blue sky and lows in the 30s-40s.

As far as where to stay, the only valley campground open will be Upper Pines, and it is first come first served that time of year, but you can make a general reservation for a spot.

For rooms there are many choices. My preference if I have plenty of money is Yosemite Lodge, ask for a deluxe room with a view of Yosemite Falls. Then there is Curry Village and they have lots of choices from motel style rooms to cabins with and without private bath to tent cabins with and without heat.

I'm going in December right before Christmas this year and we're on a budget, so we're getting a tent cabin with no heat. $40 a night. We'll be bringing extra blankets, plus an electric blanket. They advertise no electricity, but each tent has a light bulb, and some have outlets, or you can bring a $4 light bulb/outlet adapter and screw it in. I'm not sure their official policy on doing this, so I stow my cords when I am out so housekeeping doesn't see them. I asked my GF about camping and saving more money, but she doesn't like the cold much, so the thought of no electric blanket is not pleasing to her.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Winter in Yosemite