Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

3 Day Trip Suggestion for April

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

3 Day Trip Suggestion for April

Postby cactuskev » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:35 pm

Hi Guys!

I would really appreciate some suggestions for a moderately easy and not too chilly 3 day trip in April. Are there backpacking trips I can take that time of the year without having to deal with snow (I'm a desert rat...)

Whatcha got?

THANKS for your consideration!

Cactuskev

:?:
cactuskev

Re: 3 Day Trip Suggestion for April

Postby Clamper » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:58 pm

cactuskev wrote:Hi Guys!

I would really appreciate some suggestions for a moderately easy and not too chilly 3 day trip in April. Are there backpacking trips I can take that time of the year without having to deal with snow (I'm a desert rat...)

Whatcha got?

THANKS for your consideration!

Cactuskev
:?:

I don't think you have much luck combining 'easy' and 'not too chilly' in April, unless there is little winter snowfall.

It's way too early to say for sure. No matter where, be prepared for winter conditions when you go.

April often finds Tioga Road and Glacier Point Roads still closed due to snow. Depending on the snow level, they could open them by late April, but we won't know until next year.

You might consider trailheads in the southern end of the park, Hetch Hetchy, and Cherry Lake areas.

I would think that starting in the valley will preclude any chance of having an easy hike. Everything is uphill from there.

You might consider the southern end of the park. I've gone in at Wawona, up the Chilnualna Falls trail. I would not consider it 'easy', it's at least moderate, but likely accessable year round. At that time of year, you likely encounter some snow.

There are other trailheads at the south end that I have yet to try.

You can start towards Kibbee Lake from either Cherry Lake or Lake Eleanor, but could likely encounter snow before you reach Kibbee.

From the dam at Hetch Hetchy, you can shoot for Laurel Lake or Tilthill Valley. Neither is 'easy' and I suspect that you'll encounter snow on either trail.

That leave us with Poopenaut Valley. It's pretty steep, and parking is very limited, but it's a short (and very steep) downhill trail, and will likely be snow free.
Clamper

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking