Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Another kind of list

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in the Sierra Nevada and elsewhere outside Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Another kind of list

Postby balzaccom » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:01 am

This from our blog:

These days. everyone is talking about their bucket list--that list of things they absolutely want to see/do/accomplish before they kick the bucket. We don't have a bucket list (the idea of doing something just to check it off a list isn't really appealing to us) but we do have a list of things that we would like to see and/or do next. And it has some wonderful and lovely adventures on it.

But we also have another list. That other list contains the things that we've decided just aren't worth the time or trouble. Bungee jumping is on that list. We're not going bungee jumping. Or climbing all seven summits of the seven continents. Nope---just doesn't seem to be the way we want to spend our time. No criticism is implied towards anyone who enjoys these activities, we've just decided they aren't for us.

We even have a name for this list. It's our Phuket list. yeah, we know that this isn't the way you pronounce the name in Thailand. We're not in Thailand. And when we know that something just isn't going to happen for us, we place it our Phuket list.

What's on yours?
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:25 am

Lots of things, actually.

Everest.
Anything involving boats on the ocean. (it's all fun and games until you projectile vomit on the boat captain...)
Anything involving a pack weight of more than 40 lbs.
Buying a house. (I might retire on the PCT....)
Bungee jumping, base jumping, rock climbing, or generally dangling myself over thin air.... not happening, thanks. Feet, ground.

Oh, and speeding tickets - I am so done with those. :evil:
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby baseline bum » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:37 pm

AlmostThere wrote:Everest.

Yep, I can't imagine traversing the ice falls 6-8 times while climbing high and sleeping low on that, not to mention carrying heavy oxygen tanks while knowing that if I stop then I die (with 100% probability).
baseline bum
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:44 pm

baseline bum wrote:
AlmostThere wrote:Everest.

Yep, I can't imagine traversing the ice falls 6-8 times while climbing high and sleeping low on that, not to mention carrying heavy oxygen tanks while knowing that if I stop then I die (with 100% probability).

And then they leave you up there with all the other frozen stiffs...

Yep, Everest, and this thing. Oh, no.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:11 am

THAT is amazing. And yes--it is now an entry on my list, too!
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Erich1B » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:40 am

Completing a PhD in theoretical physics is on my Phuket list.

BASE jumping is a close second...............
Erich1B
Regular
Regular

Postby Wickett » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:18 am

I now have something to do while in Spain! thanks for enlightening me to El Camino Del Rey!
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby orion » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:57 pm

burning man

never could compete with the backcountry

plus, a great way to ruin your gear
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby kathy » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:37 pm

HA HA. Just read this about the Phuket list. I'd certainly have bungee jumping and Everest on mine, along with The King's Highway (and skydiving, for that matter). I'm pretty sure Half Dome would also be on it, that cable route scares the hell outta me.

Submarine-travel of any sort for any reason would definitely be on my list...right at the top!

:lol:
Life's a trip...pack accordingly.
kathy
Regular
Regular

Postby shan1203 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:20 pm

On my list:

Spending the majority of my time with a laptop bag on my back instead of my Gregory!

:-)

Shannon
shan1203

Postby BackpackerBC » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:50 pm

Love this post!

Well I hate hot placess so any desert or tropical jungle would be on my Phucket List! I could die happy not ever seeing the Amazon Rainforest.

For conservation sake I would fight to protect it and want it to always be there and healthy, but that doesn't mean I have to go visit!

I'd climb Everest first!

A Backpacking Photo Contest - North-America-Wilderness-Backpacking. com -

Because great pictures and memories should be part of everyone's To Do List!
"Hunger, thirst, cold, fatigue, your own physical and mental limitations, you will feel all of these. This teaches you about nature, more than that, you come face to face with yourself. "
-Willi Unsoeld
BackpackerBC

Re: Another kind of list

Postby oakroscoe » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:12 am

balzaccom wrote:These days. everyone is talking about their bucket list--that list of things they absolutely want to see/do/accomplish before they kick the bucket. We don't have a bucket list (the idea of doing something just to check it off a list isn't really appealing to us) but we do have a list of things that we would like to see and/or do next. And it has some wonderful and lovely adventures on it.

Balza, I have got to disagree with you. The purpose of the bucket list isn't just to do what is popular or on other people's lists. The bucket list should be personal and important to you. It is do some stuff that you really want to do, not just to cross something off your list.

For me, I don't really care about going up Half Dome, so that's not on my list. But I would love to camp on top of El Capitan and gaze at Half Dome this season. I really want to see Macchu Pichu as well. Also, I'd love to run the full Rubicon Trail in my FJ.
oakroscoe
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Another kind of list

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:32 am

oakroscoe wrote:
Balza, I have got to disagree with you. The purpose of the bucket list isn't just to do what is popular or on other people's lists. The bucket list should be personal and important to you. It is do some stuff that you really want to do, not just to cross something off your list.

where did Balzac say it had anything to do with popularity?

that list of things they absolutely want to see/do/accomplish before they kick the bucket
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Hiking & backpacking outside Yosemite National Park