Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Snowshoe trail suggestions

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park in Winter and most of Spring, when snow is on the ground. Includes visiting in winter, snow play, downhill and nordic skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, and snow camping.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Snowshoe trail suggestions

Postby hotrod4x5 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:40 am

I asked this over on the discussion forum, http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,30037 But I am not sure if there are users here who don't go there, so I will ask again. If you answered over there, thanks!

We got snowshoes and plan to go to Dewey Point, looking for other suggestions on snowshoeing trails.

Thanks!
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Dave Miller » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:46 am

Dewey Point is a great hike. I did it a couple years ago an mapped it for Backpacker Magazine: http://bp2.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip ... ipId=51745 The mapped hike used Trail 18 to get to Dewey, but you can make it a loop hike by coming back Trail 14. The Yosemite Winter trail map shows this route clearly.

The various Sequoia Groves (Mariposa, Tuolumne and Merced) can also provide some great hikes. I snowshoed down to Tuolumne grove in a heavy snow storm one year and it was a blast!

Enjoy!!
Dave Miller
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby Gfurey » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:53 pm

I am going snowshoeing to little Yosemite valley along the muir trail in a few weeks, I wanted to check out Tuolumne in the winter, Tuolumne in the summer is amazing, but i heard the road out to the trail head is always closed in the winter. When did you do it? Is there another way out there?
"..acquire a peaceful spirit and thousands around you will be saved" St. Seraphim of Sarov
Gfurey

Postby hotrod4x5 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:26 pm

Gfurey wrote:I am going snowshoeing to little Yosemite valley along the muir trail in a few weeks, I wanted to check out Tuolumne in the winter, Tuolumne in the summer is amazing, but i heard the road out to the trail head is always closed in the winter. When did you do it? Is there another way out there?
The Tuolumne grove of giant sequoias is actually not up in the meadows, it is near Crane Flat, and the trail head is accessible all year.

http://www.yosemitehikes.com/tioga-road ... -grove.htm
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:41 pm

Gfurey wrote:I am going snowshoeing to little Yosemite valley along the muir trail in a few weeks, I wanted to check out Tuolumne in the winter, Tuolumne in the summer is amazing, but i heard the road out to the trail head is always closed in the winter. When did you do it? Is there another way out there?

Highway 120 is closed. You can ski the road, but it's a long ways to go and you would need to be prepared for overnight camping in deep snow. Would be shorter from the other (eastern) approach but you will still need skis to get there, as the road is snowed in completely and gated.

Also, part of the JMT in that section is closed. Your route will take you up the lower part of the JMT and along the cutoff trail that will drop you above Vernal Falls, where you will be on the Mist Trail to the top of Nevada Falls. Suggest you ask a ranger and review a map of the area.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Dave Miller » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:40 pm

Like the other guys said, you don't want to confuse Tuolumne Grove with Tuolumne Meadows. Tuolumne grove is an easy to moderate day hike. Here's a write up I did for that hike: http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/352465
Dave Miller
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby Gfurey » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:25 pm

Thanks everyone!! Very helpful info!!! The whole Tuolumne thing is confusing, thanks for the clarity! I should learn to ski so I can do more of the remote trails! Maybe next year! Happy trails everyone!!!
"..acquire a peaceful spirit and thousands around you will be saved" St. Seraphim of Sarov
Gfurey

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:41 pm

sonee mark wrote:

You have a great experience that you shared here, now i also want to go their.

Dan needs to get out ye old ban hammer!

It's spammer time!
*insert musical bridge* can't click this!
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Winter in Yosemite