Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Camp 4 availability next week?

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Camp 4 availability next week?

Postby This Guy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:19 pm

I'm wanting to go to Yosemite midweek next week and not spend a billion dollars on lodging, so I'm thinking of staying at Camp 4. Googling around makes me think that there will be lots of space but I'm a bit worried about showing up and having nowhere to sleep. Does anyone know what the conditions are like there now?
This Guy

Postby This Guy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:51 pm

I might also add that I have no experience camping in weather this cold so if you hear about them removing a frozen corpse from Camp 4 next week, that'll be me.
This Guy

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:48 pm

Camp 4 is first come/first serve. You'll be packed in 6 people per site. Midweek, before the snow is completely melted, I think you'll be okay.

You could also get a regular campsite for about 20 bucks. Or check into Yosemite Bug, the hostel down the road from El Portal, for about the same, and get a hot shower and full kitchen to cook in.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby dan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:44 pm

I was in Yosemite last weekend (the week before the Presidents Day weekend). Excluding the Holiday weekend (this weekend), you'll be find, even on weekends. There was plenty of space at Camp 4, even on the previous weekend. The only campers were a few hardy climbers and assorted people.

If Camp 4 is full, you can go to Pines Campground. I prefer Camp 4, as it's warmers and Camp 4 doesn't have noisy RVs with loud generators.

As for temperature, the key is to have a warm sleeping bag. Stay in it all night (hang out in the bar in the evening or bring plenty of firewood). Once you get in the tent at night, stay there until the sun rises. It's getting in and out that makes you cold.

Public showers are available at Camp Curry (for a fee, if there's an attendant there)
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby QITNL » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:46 pm

Go for it - Camp 4 is pretty empty midweek this time of year. I love Camp 4 in the winter (not my kind of place in the summer, though). Once I had the entire camp to myself. I doubt there will be more than a half dozen tents, space will be no problem.

It looks like the Valley got about a foot of snow this week and might get up to another foot before you arrive. High temps next week are in the 30's so it should stick around. You might want to bring a shovel, though you'll probably find a tent platform someone has left behind.

The nice thing about Camp 4 it that it gets some sun during the day. Upper Pines and Brrrry village remain in the shade. Not that I would, but you could check with the latter for any killer deals they may be offerring if you want a heated tent cabin. There's a nice warm room with WiFi there; you can also make use of the Lodge.

It should be beautiful, make us jealous, give us a report when you return.
QITNL
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite