Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

High Sierra Camps Question: average age of campers?

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

High Sierra Camps Question: average age of campers?

Postby katy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:23 pm

Hi,

I have just found out about the High Sierra Camps and I saw that there are dates still available.

The price however does not seem to be very cheap: $153 per person (per night +meals)

(I found the price at Yosemitepark site)

So now I wonder... such price implies that people who book must have money - does it mean that they are full of old people (with money) or are there also any young people who book such camps?

I mean, can anybody comment on the average age of people who book "High Sierra Camps" ?

katy
First-timer
First-timer

Postby bill-e-g » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:45 pm

I've never stayed at any HSC and I avoid them.
But I've walked the trails many times around them and
you invariably run into HSC users.
In my experience it is definitely the older crowd.
With that kind of money you can buy yourself some great gear
and camp anywhere.
I know anyone that does the HSC
just loves it. For many it is the first time in the wilderness
so it is understandable.
For me it's hard. I know they really get alot of people out
that wouldn't normally go. But it's at a very big price IMO.
The trails get rutted up and have mule poo all over them.

Here's a post on another forum about the HSC:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php ... #msg-10475

There's alot of goofing on that forum (which I enjoy)...
but if you scroll down look for the link of
"Yosemite High Sierra hike" and take a look at that.

Whatever you decide to do... enjoy!
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

HSC Hiker ages?

Postby SteveH » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:55 am

My wife and I will be doing the whole camp loop this summer--31JUL thru 5 AUG. I'm 49 and she is 48--is that old? I certainly don't think of us as rich old folks. :-) I've been backpacking in Yosemite since the 70s and I love hiking out of TM. As a retired career Soldier (airborne and light infantry) I've no problem with hauling loads over rough high terrain--but Mrs H is looking forward to those HSC's at the end of each day. Yes this is a BIG financial commitment for us but it's one we've saved for and are looking forward to it.

Maybe we will see you on the trail this summer? My 50th birthday will be celebrated at the Merced Lake HSC! woohoo!
/r
SteveH
SteveH
Regular
Regular

Postby kristinedrake » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:30 am

I just have to say i LOVE :l: :l: :l: :l: their pepperoncinis.

they are simply the best

I hope its not under!
kristinedrake
First-timer
First-timer

Postby jimdmcd » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:53 pm

The crowd is older but that maybe because the people that do it tend to love it so much that they do it year after year.
The cost is a big deal for some and nothing for others. It is the experience and the friendships gained that keep them going back.
jimdmcd

Re: High Sierra Camps Question: average age of campers?

Postby dan » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:29 pm

It's certainly not the young single set or college age. It's older people with money and physically fit enough to walk. I see several middle age couples without children and some with children (old enough to hike).

In other words, 40s and 50s, with some extending to 30s and 60s. Just a guess from memory. I never stayed in a HST (yet)--backpacking's for me :-). It's fine for those who want to stay in a HST and not bother with the gear and preparation for a backpack. The HST requires a lottery to get in, as it's so popular. HTH.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby centurycyclist » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:56 pm

OK, this post has been up for a while, but here is my take on the HSC.
I have hiked the HSC camp loop the last 3 years with my high school aged son....I am a 50+ mom, fit, young for my age, but did not think it was the best idea to camp on our own, when he did not have much camping experience. So , we did the HSC camps. We did NOT do the lottery, rather, checked the website every other day or so to put together a trip that worked of for us. We did that THREE years in a row. no problem.
We met people who were old, barely putting one foot in front of the other, a couple of young families (babies in backpacks), and everything in between---in fact, a couple of parent/teenagers groups. The reason people use the HSC is that you can carry MUCH LESS GEAR---esp related to FOOD PREP--no tents, no bear canisters, etc. While I would be happy camping, having done it a lot in my youthful days, but camping really works best when most of the campers know what they are doing. IN addition, the HSC camp staff have been an absolute pleasure! They love their jobs, as ill-paid as they must be, they make the most of what must be a challenge every day, and their love of the wilderness is contagious.
centurycyclist
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby TigerFan » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:50 am

My son and I were in Yosemite two weeks ago. We did a 5-day hike from Tuolumne Meadows down to the Valley and spent one night in the Merced HSC backpacker's campground. I'd booked a dinner and breakfast at the HSC and we both really LOVED this experience.

It was predominantly a "middle aged" crowd with a few younger (30-ish) couples and a few older (60-ish) couples. There were 3 or 4 family groups with kids and several groups of all-women and all-men friends hiking together (50-ish). It was very reminiscent of the eco lodges we've stayed in Costa Rica and also to Phantom Ranch in the Grand Canyon.

We really like the combination of the hiker's campground and meals at the HSC. Cost is MUCH more reasonable and, as a dinner guest, you're welcome to use the SHOWERS (!!) We met some interesting people with a lot of experience hiking in the Sierras... sort of like sitting down with the experts *here* for dinner...

Btw, the backpackers' campground at Merced was very pleasant. We camped without a fly but had no issues with noise or late-night comings/goings. The campground is just a minute's walk past the HSC.
TigerFan
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby mountainmama » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:18 pm

I worked at Glen Aulin for a summer and would say that it is mostly families or middle aged people. It is a fun group who want to be there though. I can't afford it yet, but some day want to do it with my kids. It is not only a walk down my old stomping ground, but a fun way to introduce them to 'backpacking'.
mountainmama

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds