Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Half Dome Permit Help

Discussion about hiking to the top of Half Dome, planning the trip, and when the Half Dome cables are installed in Spring or removed in Fall.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Half Dome Permit Help

Postby yohab » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:42 am

Hi. I had a question. If I obtain a wilderness permit from say Cathedral Lakes that includes a half dome permit, is the half dome permit any different than the day hike permit? For example, is there any reason i couldn't pay for the wilderness permit, pick it up, obtain the half dome permit, and then abandon the overnight trip and do a day hike from Happy Isles to half dome?
yohab

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:00 pm

The Half Dome permit is part of the wilderness permit - so no, you can't convert it to a dayhiking permit. I'm sure they saw that one coming.

Technically, you aren't paying for either permit. You pay to reserve a wilderness permit, doing it in advance, but if you walk in the office and they have a spot free, the wilderness permit is free. Likewise, the fee for the Half Dome dayhike permits is a service charge to recreation.gov - the actual permit is free.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby yohab » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:45 pm

Thanks for the info. So if i'm trying to put together a group of like 6-9 people to hike half dome is it virtually impossible to get day permits? Any suggestions?
yohab

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:53 pm

Get a couple of the people to get permits for 4 people (max limit on the dayhike permit).

Last year, there were people giving unused permits to the ranger at the cables, who then recycled them by giving them to folks who show up without... might be a question to ask a Yosemite ranger, what they think will happen this year. If that practice continues you might have a fair chance of having anyone who couldn't get a permit in advance up the cables.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Half Dome Permit Help

Postby cjoz » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:51 pm

yohab wrote:Hi. I had a question. If I obtain a wilderness permit from say Cathedral Lakes that includes a half dome permit, is the half dome permit any different than the day hike permit? For example, is there any reason i couldn't pay for the wilderness permit, pick it up, obtain the half dome permit, and then abandon the overnight trip and do a day hike from Happy Isles to half dome?

You could probably "get away" with it b/c I'm not sure how they would police it. That said, good luck getting a Cathedral Lakes wilderness permit and if you showed up at Half Dome on Day 1 of your wilderness permit for Cathedral, they'd probably call BS on you.
cjoz
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Half Dome Hiking