Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Reservation question

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Reservation question

Postby aren21 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:54 pm

Hey everyone, Im planning on reserving 2 spots next to each other somewhere in the valley for July 21-24. Can I make the 2 reservations at the same time online or do I have to reserve them seperately? Its going to be my first time to Yosemite, and my first time using their online reservation system. Im assuming I should be clicking the book now button at 7 am sharp. Any other tips? Thank you!
aren21

Postby dictatorannie » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:58 am

you can reserve them at the same time but in separated windows. that means each window only allows you to reserve one spot. for ex, after you click "see detail" button in one window, you immediately go to the next window and click on the same button. best advice: find as many spots as you want (have them all ready for each window) and click them as fast as you can when it's time to reserve (7am?). Also, you should try to reserve a few seconds(maybe 3-4 seconds) before hand because it'll take awhile to proceed. by that time, most of the sites will be out. so you have to be super fast and flexible in choosing sites.
Good luck on reservation :D
dictatorannie

good luck

Postby mountainmama » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:13 pm

I think you should feel extremely lucky to even get two spots, let alone two together. When I tried last month, the ENTIRE valley was sold out in 10 seconds. Seriously! I heard that you have to keep on, because people give up their sites around 7:10. Good luck! We were going to get two sites next to each other and didn't get anything.
mountainmama

Postby aren21 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:08 pm

Thanks for the tips everyone, I guess Ill have to do my best. Ill try to be on the phone with them too a few minutes before 7am. Thanks again!
aren21

Postby Nacci » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:25 am

I'm watching the Valley campgrounds on Recreation.gov right now. Single days are still available, and several times multiple day blocks are showing up. I guess folks are putting the days in their shopping cart, and then not purchasing them. It's 7:21 am Pacific Time.

Good luck!
Nacci
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby aren21 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:51 pm

Well I tried until about 7:30, but got nothing. I had 9 tabs open on my computer and my brother did the same on his. It was booked instantly! I booked campgrounds in Sequoia though. :?
aren21

Postby Nacci » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:47 pm

I got the one I wanted in Tuolumne Meadows, tho' that's easier since the reservations are not site specific.

Over the hour between 7 and 8, I checked to see what was available in the first two weeks of August at Upper Pines, Lower Pines, & North Pines. I saw campsites come and go. There would be ten different campsites available, with only night in each. Then I'd refresh and see four nights at one campsite, two at another, and five singletons. Then I'd see a few pairs and some singletons. Then they'd all be gone. Then more would show up. Since I wasn't trying to book those sites, perhaps they were all being chosen as I looked at them. But there were still nights available as late as 7:50 am. I wish you had gotten them!

It would be nice if the system allowed folks to book "any tent site" in a campground. Then they'd have a better chance of finding something.
Nacci
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby mountainmama » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:25 pm

Bummer you didn't get anything! I tried last month and was shut out and got my first choice of Upper Pines. I think the secret is to pick the crappiest looking inside loop site you can find and start clicking book now at 6:55. I also found it was helpful to be wired in instead of using wifi. My husband was at his work on superfast connection and was shut out.

Sequoia is awesome though! I worked there also and loved it. Try to get up to Mineral King if you can. Awesome camping, first come first served, but no one drives the crazy road to get there.
mountainmama

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds