Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

packable shoe covers for crossing streams??

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Re: Crocs

Postby cjoz » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:42 pm

KC wrote:Invested in a cheap pair of knockoff crocs after using Tevas for a good while. The crocs are definitely lighter, dry more quickly, and work great as camp shoes. Only bad thing about them is they are not quite as good for climbing and hiking as Tevas.

Five Finger Vibrams sound interesting since they appear to have a bit more utility than the crocs and seem to be an ounce or two lighter.

I've never tested the Crocs. Seems like a good, cheap option but wonder how sturdy the straps are and if loose fitting I"d still be concerned about them getting washed off your feet in a heavy stream crossing. Any experience here?
cjoz
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:46 pm

The knockoffs I find locally have a version that fits/conforms to the foot, more like a water shoe than the big wide ones - they have a heel instead of a strap. Same material, just as light.

I've crossed creeks where I was concerned about losing a croc but not when using the heel strap. They might flop around on the foot a little but my clodhoppers are too big for the shoe to come off.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: packable shoe covers for crossing streams??

Postby WanderingJim » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:00 am

I use a part of DBX water shoes for creek crossings and for use around my camp when backpacking. https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/dbx-mens-water-shoes-16dbxmdbxmnsblkwsfot/16dbxmdbxmnsblkwsfot

Cheap and lightweight. Much easier to use for those late night trips to the nearest bush than my full boots.
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: packable shoe covers for crossing streams??

Postby Phil » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:42 am

These are the ones...or something similar- cheap- honk the laces- stay on- dry fast- protect the feet- great camp shoes too- can't beat it, IMO

https://www.ebay.com/i/152729642403?chn=ps&dispItem=1
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking