Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Mariposa Grove and Bridalveil Falls in Winter

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park in Winter and most of Spring, when snow is on the ground. Includes visiting in winter, snow play, downhill and nordic skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, and snow camping.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Mariposa Grove and Bridalveil Falls in Winter

Postby archive » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:40 pm

Author: John J. (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: 03-07-05 10:53

Hi,

We are leaving this week for S.F. and Yosemite (Mar 10). Will be in Yosemite for 3 days next week. Plan to see several of the falls and Indian Caves. We are all avid hikers. Wanted to get an opinion as to whether we were better off taking the time to hike the two miles up to the Grove or drive the 4 hours to Sequoia National Park upon leaving Yosemite. I am not sure if we will have time to do both. Thanks in advance.

Re: Mariposa Grove
Author: Dan Anderson (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: 03-07-05 11:19

Hike Mariposa Grove. You'll spend a lot more time seeing the trees rather than driving all over the place.

Giant Forest in Sequoia Park and Grant Grove are worth a separate trip, but I wouldn't go there and Yosemite in the same trip. The highways in the mountains are slow

Date: 03-07-05 11:38

Thank you...that will resolve some planning issues. One more question...is the Bridalveil Falls trail closed at this time of year?

Bridalveil Falls Trail in Winter
Author: Dan Anderson (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: 03-07-05 12:01

You mean the trail in the valley to the base of the falls? Yes, it's open year-round. The trail can get icy on some cold mornings though.

Date: 03-07-05 14:14

Thanks again....we are looking forward to the beautiful scenery.

Author: Richard Bellerose (67.169.91.---)
Date: 06-06-05 23:36

The trail from Mariposa upper grove to Wawona (6.2 miles) is impassible. There are clusters of downed trees at a point over 1 mile down the trail and we found it impossible to find the trail after climbing over these difficult obstacles. Progress slows to a few hundred feet per hour. Do not get caught on this trail. The park department has not marked it yet.

The outer loop trail is in a similar condition, but the danger of being lost on this trail, while still serious, is more easily recoverable.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby mistressofthemorningate » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:50 pm

As the gates to the Lower Mariposa Grove are subject to winter closures all the way down at the south entrance kiosk, I suggest skiing into The Grove from the County/State maintained parking facility just outside the entrance at Goat Meadow. Much altitude is achieved after you leave the highway and before you park. From there the trail to the Grizzly Giant is easy to follow because it's a service route to the Upper Grove in high season. It's a good blow, but not too hard; my memories of one New Years Eave (long ago) in "Old Stumpy" eclipse all others!
mistressofthemorningate
First-timer
First-timer

Return to Winter in Yosemite