Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Week Long Photography Trip Part 2

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Week Long Photography Trip Part 2

Postby traveler » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:27 am

The recent weather pummeling Yosemite and the coast have made me reconsider this week long photography trip. Originally, I was going to hit Yosemite on Wednesday of next week, spend three days, and then go to the Monterey Peninsula before driving down Rt. 1. and then ending my trip at Antelope Valley for the poppies.

Now I'm thinking of going to Monterey/Carmel area first (via 101), and then hitting Yosemite next Friday - Sunday hoping that the park has had time to recover. I would appreciate those of you familiar with the park giving me some advice as to whether or not this would be a wise move. Even though the weather looks great for the next week, will the park facilities and roads be accessible? Will the Merced Canyon be nothing but a torrent of melting snow? Will it be possible to get rooms on a walk in basis on a weekend.

I have flown by the seat of my pants before and am comfortable doing so but would hate to find Yosemite less than desirable for this trip. As it is, missing the drive down Rt. 1 due to the mudslide has me depressed enough.

I can't change my flight but could change my direction from Las Vegas to the east and shoot the canyons and arches of the southwest. It's not a bad alternative but I've visited that area before.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
traveler
traveler

Postby AlmostThere » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:45 am

Most of the park is without power and there are chain requirements - you need to check the website or call the info line before you start to go anywhere in the mountains, as many roads are now snow or mudslide or rock covered. Roads into Kings Canyon/Sequoia are similarly affected. in Yosemite the roads are only open 7 am to 7 pm. I wouldn't count on staying there, since they are issuing refunds on campground reservations and last week evacuated quite a large number of employees.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

There was about 5 feet of new powder on the ski runs locally, according to a friend who went skiing a couple days ago, and that doesn't count anything falling today.

I would be doing disaster relief in Oakhurst if not for my work schedule.

It's very, very, very wet out their right now.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite