Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Oprah in Yosemite

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Oprah in Yosemite

Postby Wickett » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:43 am

Oprah and here crew were in Yosemite this past week. Lower pines was the unfortunate site for filming some of their segments. Lights and generators running until late in the night. It was so annoying and should have been done elsewhere. No one even slept in the campsite. The park was very cooperative with them, I would have gotten fined to death if I did even a little of what they were doing.

The thing that bothered me the most was the fleet of cars speeding through the campgrounds, not cool at all. :(
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby petho » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:56 pm

It is a good idea to keep your food locked up and out of sight. Oprah has been known to smash cars to get at coolers and food stuffs. Just hanging your food in the trees is not good enough anymore, Oprah has that figured out too.
petho
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Wickett » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:08 pm

Lmao!
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Wickett » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:38 pm

OK, I just watched the Oprah Yosemite special and there are a few issues I have with the campground shots. First, they conveniently got rid of all of the generator noise. Second, the army of cars and people weren't shown. I know for a fact that for at least the first night that the trailer was there, Oprah was not staying in it. No one stayed at the campsite that night. Her show implied otherwise.

Forgive my ranting, her being there really made my trip annoying and by no means peaceful.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby hotrod4x5 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:48 pm

So she didn't stay in the popup? Where did she stay? And if you don't mind sharing, are you a worker there, or you just happened to be camping at the same time? According to one interview I saw, they were only going to stay in the site one night.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Wickett » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:49 am

I was staying two sites over. It really was a zoo with all of the generators running and all of the lights on from dusk until about 1030 when everyone left.

According to her program she arrived and stayed the first night in the pop-up. After filming, they all left for the Ahwahnee and came back in the morning to film more. I was talking to a worker from the Ahwahnee and she said they were cleaning a room for two days to meet the "celebrity specifications" that are set by the hotel.

I think its awesome that she was raising awareness, I just think that they could have done it a lot more unobtrusively.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby hotrod4x5 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:41 am

So she didn't even stay in the popup, that's pretty lame!
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby hotrod4x5 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:38 pm

k.anderson3454 wrote:I did not see this. did they feature it in oprah's show?
Yes, over two days.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby fluxfluxa » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:27 pm

You guys are ridiculous.
fluxfluxa

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds