Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Camping in Yosemite in January

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park in Winter and most of Spring, when snow is on the ground. Includes visiting in winter, snow play, downhill and nordic skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, and snow camping.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Camping in Yosemite in January

Postby dustin.brace » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:52 pm

My fiance and I are going to be camping in Yosemite for 2 nights in mid-January. We are looking for good ideas as to what we should do while we are there. We are backpackers who have come to Yosemite numerous times in the summer, but have no idea as to what we should do in the winter. Is it possible to get to Glacier Point(snowshoeing) at all? Any recommendations in general?

Thanks,
Dustin
dustin.brace

Re: Camping in Yosemite in January

Postby dan » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:38 pm

dustin.brace wrote:My fiance and I are going to be camping in Yosemite for 2 nights in mid-January. We are looking for good ideas as to what we should do while we are there. We are backpackers who have come to Yosemite numerous times in the summer, but have no idea as to what we should do in the winter. Is it possible to get to Glacier Point(snowshoeing) at all? Any recommendations in general?

I camp and backpackin summer and cross-country ski in winter. You can snow camp along the Glacier Point Road (starting from Badger Pass ski area). Most backpackers snowshoe in in winter, a few XC-ski in (the latter is difficult because of lack of balance and skill required). For my first winter backpack, I would choose a more mild time such as March to try it, or just try snowshoeing or cross-country skiing for the day. XC Ski lessons are available at Badge Pass.

Glacier Point's a bit far for snowshoeing, but I've seen a few get out there in a day and camp at Glacier Point. It's too far to snowshoe in and out in a day, but I've skied there and back several times in a (long) day.

Camping is available at Wawona, Houghton Meadow and in Yosemite Valley. Plenty of spots are available in Winter. It's first-come, first-serve, but that's not a problem except for a few popular weekends.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Carter » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:29 pm

That's good to know Dan.. My cousin and I have always wanted to check out Yosemite in the winter and was wondering what entrance is usually open in the winter... Is it the 120 entrance
Day Hiker
Carter
Regular
Regular

Return to Winter in Yosemite