Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Half Dome report/picture April 21st 2011

Discussion about hiking to the top of Half Dome, planning the trip, and when the Half Dome cables are installed in Spring or removed in Fall.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Half Dome report/picture April 21st 2011

Postby gkam2 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:46 pm

I checked out the weather and webcam of Half Dome and all seemed to be alright. Went a little unprepared...

We got up to the base of the subdome and the rest of my group wanted to turn back. The choice was easy to make while up there but for some reason right now I wish I would have kept going.

There was snow all throughout the trail, mist trail closed.
The patches of dirt stopped and straight snow started about half a mile before the "Half Dome 2 Miles" sign.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/A_OlE ... 2RwDw=s512

It was cool skipping all the switch backs and heading straight up
gkam2
Regular
Regular

Nice Pic

Postby KC » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:19 pm

Nice pic and thanks for the snow update.

I hear you on the disappointment. I think we've all felt that at one time or another. That said, the mountain is going to be there longer than you are so plenty of time to tackle it in the future. Given the conditions, just hiking to the foot of the subdome is an accomplishment in my book.
KC
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby oakroscoe » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:51 am

Thanks for the pic.

Don't feel bad about turning back, like KC said you'll have plenty of time. Also, you never know what could have happened if you kept going. The last thing you need is to go into something unprepared and have bad weather or an accident happen. Its definitely better to be safe than sorry, even if it is an old cliche
oakroscoe
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby daddyray831 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:49 am

so did you still hike thru the mist trail or did you take the john muir trail? i hiked it in december... whats the status of it now? is it still covered in snow along the way, has it begun to clear out yet?
daddyray831
Regular
Regular

Postby gkam2 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:27 am

Had to take JMT. It was clear most of the way except for the snow taking over some of the spots of the switch backs.

I'm going back up on the 9th and 10th of May so we'll see what it is like then
gkam2
Regular
Regular

Trail conditions

Postby Brent N » Mon May 09, 2011 1:48 pm

Have there been any more recent trips of Half Dome by either the mist trail or the JMT? Are crampons and ice axes needed? I'm going up on the 21st of May.

Brent N
Brent N

Return to Half Dome Hiking