Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

"Campsite not recommended for RVs"...what does tha

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

"Campsite not recommended for RVs"...what does tha

Postby hornerdon » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:09 pm

I'm traveling in a Class B van-based RV, a conversion on a Mercedes (Dodge) Sprinter chassis. The van is normal width and no longer than a long-bed crew-cab pickup at 22', but is 9-1/2' tall because of the AC on the roof. It's my daily driver, and I park it all the time in normal parking spaces.

I'm specifically looking at Tamarack Flats, but others among the first-come, first-served campsites say "RV's not recommended".

I'm assuming (always dangerous) that tent campers drive their vans, SUVs or trucks to the campsite, so it should theoretically be possible for me to drive to the campsite, also -- it's just a big van. Is this feasible, or are the overhanging branches so low that my height will limit me?

When they say, "not recommended", are they forbidding something like my rig? If I get a site, will I be a pariah among the non-RV'ers?

We're going to be there approximately Sun July 31 and Mon Aug 1. That should make it a little easier to get a site because most will be heading home on Sunday. How early will I have to be there to get a place? At any of the 1st come-1st served sites?

We have family who have a cabin reservation in Curry Village for those days. We don't want to be too far from them. Are there any other 1st come sites that would be better?

First time at Yosemite @ 71 years old!

Don
hornerdon
First-timer
First-timer

Re: "Campsite not recommended for RVs"...what does

Postby dan » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:53 pm

The road to Tamarack Flat is a dirt road with several hairpin turns. It is difficult or impossible for long vehicles (RVs) to navigate. A converted van should be a lot easier to navigate.

If you manage to get there, no you won't be a pariah--it's just a campground and nobody really cares. There's no hookups and the bathrooms have no running water.

I recommend Crane Flat Campround, Hodgdon(sp) Meadows campround, or just about any other campground, which are accessible to RVs.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Wickett » Sun May 01, 2011 4:56 am

Keep watching recreation.gov for cancellations for sites in the Valley if you want to be close to your family, especially as your trip draws near. I have always been able to snag cancellations that way. I actually just booked a trip off of cancellations yesterday.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby gtbhiker » Sun May 01, 2011 5:43 pm

Crane Flat would be closer to the valley and there are more sites there. There often cancelations there and in the valley just a week before the reservation date, so watch the reservation site.
Also, there is a website that shows photos of each site that could be helpful for you. http://yosemitecampsites.com/
Your van camper should fit into any site but there are no utilities or dump stations in the park.
Gas is very, very expensive in the park and limited to Crane Flat and Wawona so fill up before you get in the park!
gtbhiker
Regular
Regular

Postby gtbhiker » Sun May 01, 2011 5:44 pm

I just remembered - there is a dump station at the Upper Pines Campground in the valley.
gtbhiker
Regular
Regular

Postby Wickett » Mon May 02, 2011 7:54 pm

gtbhiker wrote:Gas is very, very expensive in the park and limited to Crane Flat and Wawona so fill up before you get in the park!

The stations just outside the park are way more expensive than in the park. So I fill up in Mariposa on 140 or Right after Old Priest road on 120. The stations that say "last gas before Yosemite" or "Yosemite Valley has no gas" are the ones to stay away from, you will know which ones they are as soon as you see their prices.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds