Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Trip Advice

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Trip Advice

Postby BobH60 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:59 pm

Good Afternoon,

My wife and I are planning on visiting Yosemite (June 16th, 2007 to June 21st 2007).

We would like to do the following hikes:

Cloud Rest
Half Dome
Glacier Point via the Four Mile Trail
Mariposa Grove of Big Trees
Yosemite Falls
Vernal and Nevada Falls via the Mist Trail

Should we have any problem with roads not being open ?

Thanks,
Bob
BobH60
Regular
Regular

Snow in mid-June

Postby dan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:12 pm

No problem with any of the hikes you list, except Clouds Rest. Many start from the Valley,which always has roads open. The main problem may be Clouds Rest, if you approach it from Tioga Road (Tenaya Lake). During high-snow years, the Tioga Road doesn't open until early July. It's too early to tell if this will be a high-snow year.

You can hike to Clouds Rest from the Valley, but it's very exhausting as a day hike--it's better as a 2- or 3-day backpack. On high-snow years you could hit snow in the shady forested areas below Clouds Rest.

Half Dome is doable in a (very long) day. Get started early to avoid the crowds and (possible) afternoon thunderstorms. On high-snow years you could have snow on the trail for Half Dome, but it's just isolated patches you hike around or over.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Snow in June

Postby BobH60 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:37 pm

Hi Dan,

Do you know what the mileage is if you do Cloud Rest from the Valley ?

Thanks,
Bob
BobH60
Regular
Regular

Yosemite Valley hiking

Postby dan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:29 pm

14.3 miles one-way (28.6 round trip) and 6000' feet gain (from 4000' to a little under 10000').

It's easier from Tenaya Lake--about half the distance and only 2000' feet gain.

If you're looking for hikes around Yosemite Valley, see this "Yosemite Valley Hiking Map" produced by the National Park Service (click on the PDF file):
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/valleyhikes.htm
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Hike in June

Postby BobH60 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:40 am

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I will have to hope that Tioga Road is open. To hike 28.6 miles in one day would mean a very early start.

If we can hike Cloud Rest in June, what time should we plan on leaving the summit to avoid the afternoon thunderstorms ?

Are you familiar with the hike up El Capitan ? I am told it is 17 miles. Do you know if this hike would be a problem in mid-june ?

Thanks for the advice,
Bob
BobH60
Regular
Regular

Re: Hike in June

Postby dan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:26 am

Afternoon thunderstorms usually start around 2 or 4 pm and last a couple hours. They don't happen every day. Come to think of it, since you're there in June, it will be less of a problem, as it's a little early. They could still happen, but it's more common in July-August when it's warmer.

The hike up El Capitan should not be a problem as the north rim of Yosemite Valley gets a lot of sunshine. You might have to walk around or over snow berms in the shade if it's a high snow year. It's a long hike--start early. Be careful at the edge of El Cap--the drop-off is a few thousand feet.

You might also consider a hike to Eagle Peak. John Muir called it his favorite viewpoint of Yosemite Valley. I tend to agree--although Glacier Point is very good also.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

June Hikes

Postby BobH60 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:58 am

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the advice on El Cap. I looked up Eagles Peak and that sounds interesting.

Looking at the hikes I have listed below, do you see any overlap between hikes ? We have eight days to hike and our list has grown beyond that.

Sentinel Dome & Taft Point
Glacier Point via Four Mile Trail
Cloud Rest
Mariposa Grove of Big Trees
Half Dome
Yosemite Falls
El Capitan
Vernal and Nevada Falls via the Mist Trail
Eagle Peak
Cathedral Lakes

Thanks again for the advice,
Bob
BobH60
Regular
Regular

Re: June Hikes

Postby dan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:28 pm

El Cap and Eagle Peak overlap a lot--much of the time is spent hiking up the Yosemite Falls trail. Yosemite Falls overlaps also if it's to the top of the Upper Falls (as opposed to the short and easy bottom of the Lower Falls).

Cathedral Lakes and Clouds Rest overlap. I prefer Cathedral Lakes for scenery along the way, but the view of Yosemite Valley and Half-Dome-in-your-face from Clouds Rest is terrific.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

June Hikes

Postby BobH60 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:43 pm

Hi Dan,

So, if we do El Cap and Eagle Peak then I should remove Yosemite Falls from the list ?

Thanks
Bob
BobH60
Regular
Regular

Postby dan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:26 pm

BobH60 wrote:Hi Dan,

So, if we do El Cap and Eagle Peak then I should remove Yosemite Falls from the list ?

Thanks
Bob

Yeah. On second thought--I would see top of Yosemite Falls if you haven't done it. There's a little side trail (but marked) to a overlook just to the west of the falls where you can look across to the top of the falls and look straight down (there's handrails). Then cross the bridge over Yosemite Creek and hike a mile and 900' feet or so (I think) to Yosemite Point. Great view from there--not as good as Eagle Peak, but good enough.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Grzldvt » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:07 pm

If Tioga Pass is open, I would seriously consider Toulumne to LeConte Falls(aka Waterwheel Falls). It looks like you are into long distance hiking and this can be done in a day. I have done it plenty of times.
This years water supply is really shaping up to decent, so the Toulumne River will be going fairly strong.
Here are a couple of pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/danceswithmules/GlenAulinWaterwheelFalls
Just my opinion, but you have chosen a lot of hikes with roughly the same view - Yosemite Falls/El Cap/Eagle Peak
Clouds Rest/Half Dome
Sentinel/Taft can be done in two hours, then drive to Glacier Point. The 4 Mile trail is OK, but given the opportunity to see other parts of the park, it would not be my first choice, again just my opinion.
But if the snow level is high, then these are good choices.
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

June Hikes

Postby BobH60 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:01 am

Good Morning Steve,

Thanks for the advice, I will take a look at the hike you mentioned.

Also, I was looking at one of the hiking maps and it looks like you could do the following in a loop:

Sentinel Dome
Glacier Point
Taft

I am unsure of the mileage. Would you or Dan have an opinion on this ?

Thanks again,
Bob
BobH60
Regular
Regular

Postby dan » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:55 pm

If you're starting from at top, Glacier Point or the Sentinel Dome parking lot, it's a easy day.

If you're starting from below, Yosemite Valley, it's a long day (especially with Taft Point added in). You can always play it by ear and just do Glacier Point and Sentinel Dome if you're running short on time.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Trip Advice

Postby BobH60 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:48 am

Good Afternoon Dan, Steve and Everyone else,

My wife and I will be hiking in Yosemite from June 14 to June 21 and these are the hikes we currently have planned:

Saturday June 14th
Glacier Point / Sentinel Dome / Taft Point 5.50 Miles
Sunday June 15th
Yosemite Falls / Eagle Peak 13.00 Miles
Monday June 16th
Vernal Falls and Nevada Falls via the Mist Trail 5.80 Miles
Tuesday June 17th
Half Dome 17.00 Miles
Wednesday June 18th
Mariposa Grove of Big Trees 6.90 Miles
Thursday June 19th
Cloud Rest 14.40 Miles
Friday June 20th
El Capitan 17.00 Miles
Saturday June 21st
Tunnel View / Dewey Point 5.50 Miles

Any thoughts or advice ?

Thanks,
Bob
BobH60
Regular
Regular

Re: Trip Advice

Postby dan » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:19 pm

Looks good. You have easy days between hard days. You'll see a lot of great scenery! This many hikes isn't for everyone though--lots of hiking.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Next

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking